Do you want to know more about about online learning? The pages in the online and distance learning web site have been developed to help you find out what it is, the difficulties, the advantages, where you can find suitable programs, and more …
Online learning is becoming increasingly popular. It is such a convenient mode of study for many people, especially those who are working and do not wish to take time off work to attend campus for their studies.
In this web site, teachers can find out more about how ICT is changing classroom education, the social media tools that are facilitating so many of the changes, and obtain tips and resources for their own teaching.
Students can find out more about how you learn by online distance learning (e.g., in tips for learning online) and obtain help in finding a suitable distance learning online program or a school that offers the program you want, and more …
About online learning for students
Are you a student wanting to know more about what distance learning is all about? Or how new ICTs are changing classroom education? Or are you wanting to find out about online programs in a particular discipline, or about college admission, or financing for your studies, or free education? This section of the web site tries to help you find some answers.
What is online learning?
In these difficult financial times, there has been a massive increase in the number of learners wanting to know more about taking their studies at a distance using elearning (online learning) technologies. Not only is learning online usually more affordable, it is also more convenient for these distance education learners.
What is important to recognize is that anyone can register for online courses and earn their degrees. In this manner, they can study full time or part time, if they have other responsibilities. Many people have found that this is the best way to start a new career or complete certain credits they were lacking in their degree, while they maintain their current job.
But one of the good things about elearning is that it is not only used in distance education programs – it is also used for campus-based programs.
What is the difference between online learning and distance education?
Distance education has been a method of learning for individuals wanting to study at home for at least one hundred years, starting with correspondence learning (home study) via postal mail. With the greater use of computers and the Internet, it is now possible to offer distance education programs using only the online modality. In fact, distance education programs in the US and Canada use online learning so much, that for many people distance education is thought to be only about elearning.
But in reality, not all distance education programs are offered offered totally online. In fact, many distance education programs use a mix of modalities in that they also refer the learner to physical books. However, even these books are increasingly available online.
In many developing countries where the availability of computers and access to the Internet cannot be assumed, distance education very often still uses a mix of hard-copy study guides, books and attendance at weekend classes. There are many initiatives to try to change the problems of access to ICT, e.g., “One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)”, so that those countries can also reap the benefits of using ICT in learning.
So why all the fuss about elearning?
New information and communication technology (ICT) has made online learning or elearning possible, in which learners can participate in interactive learning using audio and video-conferencing, email, chat and computer-conferencing. The distance learner can now have almost the same instructional contact and interaction as the student on campus. This is why distance learners want to know more about studying programs online.
But elearning is not just the province of distance education. It is also used in campus-based education. The on-campus student can now have another modality to use in addition to the lecture and tutorial. So on-campus students and teachers also need to know more about elearning. This Online and Distance Learning web site also has a section on campus schools and programs.
List of schools and online programs
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
- Executive Master of Health Administration
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- Business (Associate's)
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing Education - Master
- Nursing Leadership - Master
- RN to BSN
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MSHUS- Organizational and Social Services
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- Associate of Science in Medical Billing and Coding
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- Associate of Science in Paralegal Studies
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Finance
- MBA - International Business
- And more...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
The [email protected] is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
The USC School of Social Work works with selected agencies and organizations across the country that represent the complete range of social services. This provides [email protected] students the opportunity to apply what they learn in class and a chance to work with real-life clients in the community.
- Master of Social Work