Business management is concerned with the organization and smooth running of a company. There are lots of organizations that employ people in this type of position, whether it is a small company, a retail chain or a huge corporation. And within the larger companies there are separate departments with managers. This job will also climb in salary based on the number of years experience, number of people managed and size of company. In most cases the level of education attained, combined with a proven track record in employment, will determine your suitability for a position.
You can study starting at an associate degree in business management right through to a masters degree in business management. Many people take an online MBA (Masters in Business Administration) Program with a management specialization, which they can complete whilst still in employment. Graduates of MBAs can get better jobs and higher salaries. Online doctoral (DBA) programs are also becoming popular now. This page is to help you find out more about business management programs, what the courses are, what careers are possible, and what you can earn.
What is studied for business management?
The trends for this type of position may range based on the type of education and the number of years experience that someone has. Training can be provided online or in person. There are also part time courses that can help someone develop their learning over a longer stretch of time. Whether someone gets their minimum training or masters will also influence the pay.
Some schools offer business management as Bachelors of Science with various management strands, such as Management, Global Business Management, Project Management, Small Business Management & Entrepreneurship, and many others.
It is possible to take management in an online Business Administration program. Relevant courses in such a program include: strategic management, organizational management, HR management, finance and accounting, microeconomics, and business ethics. Some programs allow specialization in majors including: Project management, Health Services Management, Hospitality Management, Operations Management, Security Management, and HR management. Similar specializations can be taken in masters (MBA) programs and in doctoral (DBA) programs.
What are the career prospects?
Picking a career may not be easy, however earning a degree in business can certainly broaden the possibilities. This particular skill can lead someone in many directions. They may be a project manager in a huge company, factory or corporation. The skills learned through a degree can also be used to work in a human resources department overseeing the operation of the department.
A retail manager will need to have the skills learned through a degree. The manager would need to have administration experience, the ability to monitor and supervise staff members as well as run the store. Marketing expertise may also keep the store profiting as it should.
An IT project supervisor will be responsible for many IT positions and the work load. They will assess the work, tackle the problems and oversee some of the work of other staff and employees. With a crew to run and all of the issues riding on their choices, it can be a very profitable and rewarding career.
A general manager will take responsibility for all staff, jobs and potential sales. They will deal with troubling issues, preventing issues and helping to maximize growth. The areas that this field will cover will help someone expand their capacity and use every venue possible to build up a strong company.
The pay for jobs in business management may vary considerably. Someone who works in retail as an assistant may earn from 27k to 46k, a retail manager could find themselves earning 32-58k. A project manager may earn 48-83k, with the top earners sitting around the 78-107k range for IT managers. Finding jobs with a degree in business management that pay well may take some time and research.
List of schools and programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- BS in Business Administration - Business Process Management
- BS in Business Administration - Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Management Organizational Leadership and Change
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
- MBA - Operations Management
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Management (MSM)
- Business Administration (BS)
- Non Profit Management (MS)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Hospitality Management
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Management
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Master of Science in Management, via online delivery
- Business Administration, BA
- Master in Business Administration Professional
- And more...
University of Valley Forge was founded in 1939 and is part of an international network of Assemblies of God colleges and universities.
A private university with undergraduate, graduate and lifelong learning programs, our mission is to prepare individuals for a life of service and leadership in the church and in the world.
- BA -Management
- BA -Global Business
- BA -Bachelor of Science Business Administration Online Degree Completion Program
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- BS - Management and Leadership (ACBSP-accredited)
- PhD - Business Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- DBA - Project Management: Business
- And more...
- Bachelor of Management
- Associate of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - AMBA