Business management is concerned with the organization and smooth running of a company. There are lots of organizations that employ people in this type of position, whether it is a small company, a retail chain or a huge corporation. And within the larger companies there are separate departments with managers. This job will also climb in salary based on the number of years experience, number of people managed and size of company. In most cases the level of education attained, combined with a proven track record in employment, will determine your suitability for a position.
You can study starting at an associate degree in business management right through to a masters degree in business management. Many people take an online MBA (Masters in Business Administration) Program with a management specialization, which they can complete whilst still in employment. Graduates of MBAs can get better jobs and higher salaries. Online doctoral (DBA) programs are also becoming popular now. This page is to help you find out more about business management programs, what the courses are, what careers are possible, and what you can earn.
What is studied for business management?
The trends for this type of position may range based on the type of education and the number of years experience that someone has. Training can be provided online or in person. There are also part time courses that can help someone develop their learning over a longer stretch of time. Whether someone gets their minimum training or masters will also influence the pay.
Some schools offer business management as Bachelors of Science with various management strands, such as Management, Global Business Management, Project Management, Small Business Management & Entrepreneurship, and many others.
It is possible to take management in an online Business Administration program. Relevant courses in such a program include: strategic management, organizational management, HR management, finance and accounting, microeconomics, and business ethics. Some programs allow specialization in majors including: Project management, Health Services Management, Hospitality Management, Operations Management, Security Management, and HR management. Similar specializations can be taken in masters (MBA) programs and in doctoral (DBA) programs.
What are the career prospects?
Picking a career may not be easy, however earning a degree in business can certainly broaden the possibilities. This particular skill can lead someone in many directions. They may be a project manager in a huge company, factory or corporation. The skills learned through a degree can also be used to work in a human resources department overseeing the operation of the department.
A retail manager will need to have the skills learned through a degree. The manager would need to have administration experience, the ability to monitor and supervise staff members as well as run the store. Marketing expertise may also keep the store profiting as it should.
An IT project supervisor will be responsible for many IT positions and the work load. They will assess the work, tackle the problems and oversee some of the work of other staff and employees. With a crew to run and all of the issues riding on their choices, it can be a very profitable and rewarding career.
A general manager will take responsibility for all staff, jobs and potential sales. They will deal with troubling issues, preventing issues and helping to maximize growth. The areas that this field will cover will help someone expand their capacity and use every venue possible to build up a strong company.
The pay for jobs in business management may vary considerably. Someone who works in retail as an assistant may earn from 27k to 46k, a retail manager could find themselves earning 32-58k. A project manager may earn 48-83k, with the top earners sitting around the 78-107k range for IT managers. Finding jobs with a degree in business management that pay well may take some time and research.
List of schools and programs
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Management and Leadership
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Organizational Behavior
- Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Applied Management
- M.B.A. and M.S. in Leadership (Dual Degree)
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management
- MS in Management - Organizational Design and Development
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
- MBA - Operations Management
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Business Administration - DBA (Doctorate)
- Business Administration - Associate
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Associates in Business Management
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - General
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Leadership (MS)