Many future and current college students analyze the potential that a degree may hold for them, especially in today’s challenging economic environment. The economic downturn of 2008 made many business students and graduates wonder what their degrees would be worth. There are fortunately many rewarding opportunities available for those who hold associates, bachelors, and master degrees in a business-related field, and the higher the level of degree, the higher the earning potential for a professional. And of course, there is always the possibility of starting one’s own small business.
There are degrees to cover a broad spectrum of business disciplines, including accounting, finance, management, international business, human resources management, and marketing. Business programs open the doors to higher salaries than other majors do over time. This page helps you to find out where you can take suitable programs, what the trends are, what you can earn after graduation, and more …
What do I study in a business degree?
Students taking a bachelor’s in business will usually have to take statistics, economics, algebra, accounting, marketing, management, and finance courses as part of a general curriculum. They then have to take specialized courses in their major and minor, for example, a bachelor’s degree in business administration might include majors such as: Project Management; Business Information Systems; and, Technical Communication.
There are many new trends in the field of business education that students need to be aware of. The first is that a degree in business administration is by far the most popular choice amongst students. But within an administration degree one finds many specializations.
Health administration degrees are becoming more widespread. The demand for healthcare professionals, given the higher demand that aging baby boomers will have for medical services, will steadily increase in the next decade. Along with this increase will be more of a need for professionals who run medical offices, offices within hospitals, and more. This is where business health degrees come in.
Another hot trend in the field of business networking is that of social networking. The most popular social network sites provide solid forums where classmates and professors alike can post comments within minutes of posts going up. It is a phenomenon that was unheard of just a few years ago.
What are the prospects after graduation?
Those holding degrees in different business disciplines can expect to earn higher salaries than those with other majors do over time. The higher the level of degree, the more that a person earn. Some of the trends in business education include the prevalence of healthcare administration degrees, the increased demand for online learning classes, and the increasingly important role that social networking now plays in business programs across the country. There are general classes that all business majors take, including statistics, accounting, finance, marketing, and economics classes. Students then proceed to take more specialized classes in their major.
Your salary will depend on the level of the degree. According to reputable sources, those who have an associates degree can earn anywhere from US$32,000 to US$43,000 per year. Those with a bachelors can add up to US$5,000 more per year in earning potential, and those with a masters can earn up to US$11,000 per year more. Those with masters degrees tend to take on executive roles, and their earning capability has the potential to be limitless if they are aggressive and network extensively. Of course, all these salaries are also dependent on experience, location and the particular business.
On average, those who are in retail and hold degrees tend to see earnings on the lower end of the spectrum as described above. Those in finance, accounting, and marketing see some of the highest salaries and are on the higher end of the salary range as delineated previously. Entry level employees in any business field overall tend to make salaries spanning from US$30,000 to US$50,000, though there are many exceptions and salaries that fall out of this range.
List of business schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- A.S. in Management
- B.S. in Management
- And more...
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- AS in Business Administration: Marketing & Sales
- AS in Business Administration: Executive Assistant
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Business (Associate's)
- Business (Bachelor's)
- Applied Management (Associate's)
Further your education at Rasmussen College.Choose from seven schools of study including programs in business, nursing, technology, and more. You could earn your bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and help advance your career through our AcceleratED program.
- Business Management Associates Degree
- Accelerated Marketing Bachelors Degree
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Business Administration (AMBA)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Joint Master of Science in Education - Master of Business Administration
- Master in Business Administration - Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- And more...
- Business Management-AS
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor degree programs for careers in the business, health care, criminal justice, paralegal studies and computer technology fields.
- Business Administration, Diploma
- Business Administration, Associates Degree
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing
- Associate of Science in Business Management
- And more...