Many future and current college students analyze the potential that a degree may hold for them, especially in today’s challenging economic environment. The economic downturn of 2008 made many business students and graduates wonder what their degrees would be worth. There are fortunately many rewarding opportunities available for those who hold associates, bachelors, and master degrees in a business-related field, and the higher the level of degree, the higher the earning potential for a professional. And of course, there is always the possibility of starting one’s own small business.
There are degrees to cover a broad spectrum of business disciplines, including accounting, finance, management, international business, human resources management, and marketing. Business programs open the doors to higher salaries than other majors do over time. This page helps you to find out where you can take suitable programs, what the trends are, what you can earn after graduation, and more …
What do I study in a business degree?
Students taking a bachelor’s in business will usually have to take statistics, economics, algebra, accounting, marketing, management, and finance courses as part of a general curriculum. They then have to take specialized courses in their major and minor, for example, a bachelor’s degree in business administration might include majors such as: Project Management; Business Information Systems; and, Technical Communication.
There are many new trends in the field of business education that students need to be aware of. The first is that a degree in business administration is by far the most popular choice amongst students. But within an administration degree one finds many specializations.
Health administration degrees are becoming more widespread. The demand for healthcare professionals, given the higher demand that aging baby boomers will have for medical services, will steadily increase in the next decade. Along with this increase will be more of a need for professionals who run medical offices, offices within hospitals, and more. This is where business health degrees come in.
Another hot trend in the field of business networking is that of social networking. The most popular social network sites provide solid forums where classmates and professors alike can post comments within minutes of posts going up. It is a phenomenon that was unheard of just a few years ago.
What are the prospects after graduation?
Those holding degrees in different business disciplines can expect to earn higher salaries than those with other majors do over time. The higher the level of degree, the more that a person earn. Some of the trends in business education include the prevalence of healthcare administration degrees, the increased demand for online learning classes, and the increasingly important role that social networking now plays in business programs across the country. There are general classes that all business majors take, including statistics, accounting, finance, marketing, and economics classes. Students then proceed to take more specialized classes in their major.
Your salary will depend on the level of the degree. According to reputable sources, those who have an associates degree can earn anywhere from US$32,000 to US$43,000 per year. Those with a bachelors can add up to US$5,000 more per year in earning potential, and those with a masters can earn up to US$11,000 per year more. Those with masters degrees tend to take on executive roles, and their earning capability has the potential to be limitless if they are aggressive and network extensively. Of course, all these salaries are also dependent on experience, location and the particular business.
On average, those who are in retail and hold degrees tend to see earnings on the lower end of the spectrum as described above. Those in finance, accounting, and marketing see some of the highest salaries and are on the higher end of the salary range as delineated previously. Entry level employees in any business field overall tend to make salaries spanning from US$30,000 to US$50,000, though there are many exceptions and salaries that fall out of this range.
List of business schools and programs
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Business
- BS in Business Administration - Management
- BS in Business Administration - Sales Management
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Business (Associate's)
- Accounting (Associate's)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Management
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Business Aministration
- Master of Science in Management - Marketing
- Master of Science in Management - International Business
- And more...