Many future and current college students analyze the potential that a degree may hold for them, especially in today’s challenging economic environment. The economic downturn of 2008 made many business students and graduates wonder what their degrees would be worth. There are fortunately many rewarding opportunities available for those who hold associates, bachelors, and master degrees in a business-related field, and the higher the level of degree, the higher the earning potential for a professional. And of course, there is always the possibility of starting one’s own small business.
There are degrees to cover a broad spectrum of business disciplines, including accounting, finance, management, international business, human resources management, and marketing. Business programs open the doors to higher salaries than other majors do over time. This page helps you to find out where you can take suitable programs, what the trends are, what you can earn after graduation, and more …
What do I study in a business degree?
Students taking a bachelor’s in business will usually have to take statistics, economics, algebra, accounting, marketing, management, and finance courses as part of a general curriculum. They then have to take specialized courses in their major and minor, for example, a bachelor’s degree in business administration might include majors such as: Project Management; Business Information Systems; and, Technical Communication.
There are many new trends in the field of business education that students need to be aware of. The first is that a degree in business administration is by far the most popular choice amongst students. But within an administration degree one finds many specializations.
Health administration degrees are becoming more widespread. The demand for healthcare professionals, given the higher demand that aging baby boomers will have for medical services, will steadily increase in the next decade. Along with this increase will be more of a need for professionals who run medical offices, offices within hospitals, and more. This is where business health degrees come in.
Another hot trend in the field of business networking is that of social networking. The most popular social network sites provide solid forums where classmates and professors alike can post comments within minutes of posts going up. It is a phenomenon that was unheard of just a few years ago.
What are the prospects after graduation?
Those holding degrees in different business disciplines can expect to earn higher salaries than those with other majors do over time. The higher the level of degree, the more that a person earn. Some of the trends in business education include the prevalence of healthcare administration degrees, the increased demand for online learning classes, and the increasingly important role that social networking now plays in business programs across the country. There are general classes that all business majors take, including statistics, accounting, finance, marketing, and economics classes. Students then proceed to take more specialized classes in their major.
Your salary will depend on the level of the degree. According to reputable sources, those who have an associates degree can earn anywhere from US$32,000 to US$43,000 per year. Those with a bachelors can add up to US$5,000 more per year in earning potential, and those with a masters can earn up to US$11,000 per year more. Those with masters degrees tend to take on executive roles, and their earning capability has the potential to be limitless if they are aggressive and network extensively. Of course, all these salaries are also dependent on experience, location and the particular business.
On average, those who are in retail and hold degrees tend to see earnings on the lower end of the spectrum as described above. Those in finance, accounting, and marketing see some of the highest salaries and are on the higher end of the salary range as delineated previously. Entry level employees in any business field overall tend to make salaries spanning from US$30,000 to US$50,000, though there are many exceptions and salaries that fall out of this range.
List of business schools and programs
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- Master of Business Administration - Kindom Business
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- And more...
- An online education institution dedicated to the study of Business Administration and Management.
- Provides guidance and support for each student from their first course to graduation and beyond through its Academic Mentoring program.
- Accepts transfer credits from accredited colleges and universities based on a course-by-course evaluation.
- Offers flexible payment plans designed to help students find the best options for their specific needs including scholarships, fellowships, and employer-sponsored tuition.
- AA - Business Administration
- BBA - Bachelor of Business Administration
- MBA - Banking and Finance
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Management
- BS in Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Business Administration - DBA (Doctorate)
- Business Administration - Associate
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Associates in Business Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
- And more...
- Management - Associate of Occupational Science