This page provides information on clinical psychology online and on campus programs. It tackles the questions – “what is clinical psychology” and” how is it different to counseling psychology?” and provides advice on programs to take in order to qualify in this field.
Clinical psychology is the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. This can be contrasted with counseling psychology, which deals with everyday stresses, including career planning, learning difficulties, marriage guidance and family difficulties.
This page has links to schools that are mainly for students who wish to study online. Click here to find out more about general psychology.
What do you study in clinical psychology online programs?
Clinical psychology began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Witner established a clinic where learning disorders and other educational difficulties could be assessed and treated. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler.
There are now many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, and degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
Clinical psychology study is possible at the bachelor level, but is mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels. Graduate programs focus on the assessment and treatment of mental health disorders, abnormal behavior and psychiatric problem. A typical masters program may include the following:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Human Motivation
- Contemporary Issues
- Research Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- Principles of Psychopathology
- The Cognitive Approach
- Clinical Psych
- Theories of Psychotherapy
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
Make sure the program you take is accredited by an appropriate accrediting body, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
What jobs do graduates get?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
With a masters in clinical psychology (MA), you can become a guidance counselor, educator, clinical psychologist, social worker, research psychologist and more. With a suitable bachelors degree, but without a masters or a PhD, you would be qualified to work as a clinical psychology assistant. But for the best jobs you really need a PsyD or PhD.
Salaries are high for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent your salary depends on your specialization in your clinical doctorate. In the US, the average salary in forensic clinical psychology is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Turn your fascination of the human mind into a career path - earn your Psychology degree!
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in psychology from GCU can give you the tools to pursue a career path in psychology.
- Just starting out? Our Bachelor of Science in Psychology can prepare you for an entry-level position or be a stepping stone to an advanced degree.
- Already in the field? Deepen your understanding with a Master's in General Psychology, or specialize in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Online programs make it easy and convenient to take classes at home. Master's programs are also offered in the evenings at various locations.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various psychology programs!
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
- Psychology (BA)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, healthcare and computer technology. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- BS in Psychology
- AA in Psychology
Rooted in the 1,500-year-old Benedictine tradition, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body, and spirit for all members of its community. At University Campus, at education centers, and through the Center for Online Learning, Saint Leo University offers a practical, effective model for life and leadership in a challenging world; a model based on a steadfast moral consciousness that recognizes the dignity, value, and gifts of all people.
- BA in Psychology