Counseling psychology is essentially the application of psychology to the solving of the problems of everyday stresses, e.g, career planning, marriage guidance and family difficulties. It can be studied at masters and doctoral levels.
This page provides more information about the field, and about the contents of the degree. It also has information and links to where to study it, an outline of the career prospects, the salaries, and more. Although the information about the field is relevant to all students, this page mainly provides links to schools for students who wish to study counseling psychology online. If you wish to explore the on campus psychology programs available, go to the campus universities page.
What do you study in a counseling psychology degree online?
Counseling psychologists help people to solve interpersonal problems. To do this they use many techniques, including one-on-one interviews, group sessions and hypnosis. These are all skills that need to be learned. A good rapport between the counselor and the patient is essential for counseling sessions to be successful, so good interpersonal and communication skills are very important.
A typical counseling psychology degree would include:
- Career development
- Human growth and development
- Interpersonal communications and relationships
- Group work
- Social and cultural diversity
- Research and program evaluation
- Professional identity
Counseling psychology career requirements
For most counseling careers you need to have a relevant first degree (e.g., psychology, sociology, or education), and have successfully completed graduate level courses or a graduate degree in counseling psychology. You also need a minimum of 600 hours of supervised clinical counseling experience. This will allow you to work as a Careers Counselor, Executive Coach, Family and Marriage Counselor, or similar.
But to be licensed to practice as a counselor in the US you also need to have a master’s degree (or PhD) in counseling and up to 2,000 hours of supervised clinical internship, in addition to taking a state-administered exam.
The American Psychological Association (APA) accredits doctoral training programs in counseling, as well as institutions that provide internships for doctoral students in counseling psychology.
What are the career prospects?
As a graduate of an online counseling psychology program you would advise people on how to deal with problems of everyday living, including career or work problems and problems faced in different stages of life. You might be helping people overcome addictions and substance abuse, marriage and domestic issues. As a graduate of a counseling psychology degree you might work in K-12 education settings, hospitals, and non-profit organizations. Make sure the program you take is accredited by an accrediting body appropriate for the profession you wish to enter, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
The demand for psychology counselors seems to be increasing. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data, employment of counseling professionals should grow rapidly until at least 2018. Employment for behavioral disorder counseling should increase dramatically. The greater enrollment in schools will lead to a rapid growth in numbers of school counselors.
List of schools and programs
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Trauma
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
- Available programs include a B.A. in Psychology and an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health & Counseling.
- Courses allow students to explore general psychology and behavioral health, as well as several experimental & research concentrations.
- Psychology programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
- Psychology (BA)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Psychology
- Earn your Bachelor of Arts in Psychology - 100% online
- South University brings over 115 years of tradition and achievement to a supportive online classroom
- Topics covered include psychological disorders, personality development, social perception, and more
- Concentrations include Behavioral Health, General Psychology, and Experimental/Research
- Psychology (BA)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!