If you enjoy working with numbers and figures, then you might like to pursue a career in economics and work in the field of money management. This field requires people who are sharp, critical thinkers. They will conduct surveys and create statistical data. They will analyze how people will create services and goods by allocating resources like labor, land and technology. They will monitor inflation, costs and exchange rates to further the business conducted by the company that has hired them. In these uncertain financial times the need for economists is even greater.
There are many career options for someone with a degree in economics, including: investment banking, high finance, accounting, and personal finance consulting. This page helps you find out more about the programs, what the courses include, where you can take them, the career prospects, and what you can expect to earn after completion of your degree. You might also like to look at the finance degree page.
What is studied in a degree in economics?
Businesses rely on having every aspect of their financial dealings worked to perfection, ensuring they are receiving the highest profit and the best quality products and services. This requires clear thinking and a sound knowledge of mathematics. Mathematics and statistics underpin econometrics, which is the quantitative analysis of actual economic phenomena.
A bachelor degree will provide courses that teach a student the fundamentals of economics. They will be trained to analyze critical data and make financial decisions based on the results of their analysis. They will be taught the necessary tools to deal with issues and will have a good understanding of how money works in society.
A graduate would have a choice of different possible careers in economics. A program of study would include courses dealing with taxes, statistics, corporate and industrial organizational strategy, marketing, and, of course, accounting. If a student has a particular industry in mind that he or she would like to work in, it is wise to get as much background education and knowledge in that industry alongside the money and financial aspect. For any student interested in studying economics at graduate level, it is possible to obtain an economics masters degree or a PhD in economics.
What jobs are there for graduates?
An economics degree will open up the doors for someone who loves to work with numbers and money, especially in the area of financial services. Preparing taxes, keeping financial records, handling marketing and processing corporate finances are but a few of the options available. Personal finance is on the rise and consulting firms are always looking for a bright, new student willing to work hard in the world of finance.
Students of this field should be prepared to work their way through the ranks in the same fashion that other industries do. Entry level jobs in economics are generally available in some way or another and many companies leave room for advancement to management and supervisory positions. More experience, more knowledge and more education will bring higher paychecks and promotions.
The annual salary that someone with an economics degree can expect early in their career is about $70,000, depending on their location and several other factors. It is not an industry that expects any major changes for the next few years, although there may be a slight increase in demand after 2014 and the increased interest in handling personal finance is definitely something to be watched.
List of schools and programs
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Economics
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BSFIN - Accelerated MS Finance
- BS in Finance
- BSFIN - General Finance
- And more...
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- Master - Finance
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).