If you enjoy working with numbers and figures, then you might like to pursue a career in economics and work in the field of money management. This field requires people who are sharp, critical thinkers. They will conduct surveys and create statistical data. They will analyze how people will create services and goods by allocating resources like labor, land and technology. They will monitor inflation, costs and exchange rates to further the business conducted by the company that has hired them. In these uncertain financial times the need for economists is even greater.
There are many career options for someone with a degree in economics, including: investment banking, high finance, accounting, and personal finance consulting. This page helps you find out more about the programs, what the courses include, where you can take them, the career prospects, and what you can expect to earn after completion of your degree. You might also like to look at the finance degree page.
What is studied in a degree in economics?
Businesses rely on having every aspect of their financial dealings worked to perfection, ensuring they are receiving the highest profit and the best quality products and services. This requires clear thinking and a sound knowledge of mathematics. Mathematics and statistics underpin econometrics, which is the quantitative analysis of actual economic phenomena.
A bachelor degree will provide courses that teach a student the fundamentals of economics. They will be trained to analyze critical data and make financial decisions based on the results of their analysis. They will be taught the necessary tools to deal with issues and will have a good understanding of how money works in society.
A graduate would have a choice of different possible careers in economics. A program of study would include courses dealing with taxes, statistics, corporate and industrial organizational strategy, marketing, and, of course, accounting. If a student has a particular industry in mind that he or she would like to work in, it is wise to get as much background education and knowledge in that industry alongside the money and financial aspect. For any student interested in studying economics at graduate level, it is possible to obtain an economics masters degree or a PhD in economics.
What jobs are there for graduates?
An economics degree will open up the doors for someone who loves to work with numbers and money, especially in the area of financial services. Preparing taxes, keeping financial records, handling marketing and processing corporate finances are but a few of the options available. Personal finance is on the rise and consulting firms are always looking for a bright, new student willing to work hard in the world of finance.
Students of this field should be prepared to work their way through the ranks in the same fashion that other industries do. Entry level jobs in economics are generally available in some way or another and many companies leave room for advancement to management and supervisory positions. More experience, more knowledge and more education will bring higher paychecks and promotions.
The annual salary that someone with an economics degree can expect early in their career is about $70,000, depending on their location and several other factors. It is not an industry that expects any major changes for the next few years, although there may be a slight increase in demand after 2014 and the increased interest in handling personal finance is definitely something to be watched.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BSFIN - Accelerated MS Finance
- BS in Finance
- BSFIN - General Finance
- And more...
- MS Finance
- BS Finance
- BS Business Studies in Business Finance
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Accounting (Associate's)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
- Master of Public Administration
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- And more...