Dental assistants provide comfort and care to people with many care needs, and as such they need to have the technical knowledge, and be good with their hands, good communicators, and work well as part of a dental health team. An assistant to a dentist will be reliable, have good manual dexterity, work well in a fast paced environment. This type of career is growing fast and if you are interested in this field, then you will need to get your degree or diploma to compete with others in this industry.
This page provides information about dental assistant programs and helps you to find a school and training that suits you. If you are interested in the health and medical assisting field, you might also like to check careers and training for medical assisting, dental hygiene and home aide.
Dental assisting as a career
This kind of career choice is rapidly growing in the medical field and there are some really excellent employment opportunities. The people who choose to work in this field will work 30 up to 40 hours per week. They are known to be important and valuable assistants to the dentist. They will be expected to help the dentist with administrative duties and handle examining and also treatments for patients.
One thing about this kind of assistant is that it is a two fold job. Meaning that at one time the assistant will handle many administrative duties, like the scheduling of appointments, the paying of bills, maintaining and organizing a patience records. The assistant will also be involved with instructing patients with oral hygiene and how to care for their teeth and gums. They will sterilize and provide care for all of the equipment, prepare x-rays, apply some anesthetics and also prepare impressions. The average salary rate being quite high makes this field very enticing to get involved with.
What is involved in studying dental assistant programs?
If this sounds like something that you find interesting and you want to become part of this medical field, then you will need to complete your high school diploma and then follow through with a diploma or degree that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) for the US.
A dental assisting program will usually involve attending lectures and also some rigorous hands on training within this type of field. This program can take eleven months to complete. The key areas that will be taught from these programs include: daily office procedures and billing details, business and communications skills, terminology, oral histology, anatomy and physiology, handling equipment, patient care, first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, radiography, dental health and nutrition, infection control, orthodontics, health care laws and regulations (OSHA and HIPPA).
List of dental assisting schools and programs
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Diploma - Dental Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Dental Assistant Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- AAS - Medical Office Administration
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our two campuses in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Assisting - Associate