The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Education, Career College Administration
- Master of Science in Education, Leadership
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Initial Educational Administration (EdS)
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that fits your professional goals
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits toward your degree
- Accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- MA/Education - Family and Community Services
- MA/Education - School Leadership in the 21st Century
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration - Infant and Toddler Care
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Educational Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Founded in 1925, the University of Miami is consistently and consecutively ranked as a top 50 national university and the number one private university in Florida. With more than 15,000 students from around the world, the University of Miami is a vibrant and diverse academic community situated on several campuses located in and around the city of Miami.
- Master's in Sport Administration
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Higher Education : College Administration and Leadership
- Master of Science in Higher Education : Student Affairs
- Master of Science: Education
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
At AC we want to create an environment for excellence in learning. Our highly qualified and experienced faculty provides quality teaching that consistently achieves excellent feedback from students. They combine specialist knowledge with practical insight and open conversation. This produces an inspiring and innovative classroom experience with solid content.
- Graduate Certificate in Leadership
- Master of Leadership
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
ACU is an accredited, private, non-profit, Christian university in Phoenix offering numerous bachelor’s degrees including a recently added Psychology major and programs of study such as Criminal Justice, Healthcare Policy, Nonprofit Management, Coaching and Early Childhood Education. All students graduate with a minor in Biblical studies. With a notable student-to-faculty ratio of 13:1, ACU’s distinguished professors are committed to developing the complete person through the integration of faith, learning, and Christian leadership. ACU competes as a member of the NAIA, with athletic opportunities including baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, volleyball and spirit squad. Students have multiple opportunities for campus involvement including mission trips, Urban Outreach, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, chorale, worship bands, and study abroad options.
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education
- EdS Teacher Leadership in Schools
- MEd Teacher as Instructional Leader