The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- We believe in your right to affordable access to higher education.
- Dedicated team of advisors. Over 200 online programs. And one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- Education and Teaching Associate's Degree
- Education and Teaching Bachelor's Degree
- Education and Teaching Doctoral Degree
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed: Curriculum & Instruction: Leadership
- Master Degree in Educational Leadership
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Higher Education : College Administration and Leadership
- Master of Science in Higher Education : Student Affairs
- Master of Science: Education
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MA in Education - Administration and Supervision
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Leadership in Higher Education - Master of Education
- EdD - Learning Analytics in Higher Education
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Rooted in the 1,500-year-old Benedictine tradition, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body, and spirit for all members of its community. At University Campus, at education centers, and through the Center for Online Learning, Saint Leo University offers a practical, effective model for life and leadership in a challenging world; a model based on a steadfast moral consciousness that recognizes the dignity, value, and gifts of all people.
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership
NU has been educating leaders since 1934 at our campus near Seattle. Over the years, we've seen the improbable made possible. If you have a dream, we can help make it possible.
- Master's in Education
- Certificate in Ministry Leadership
- Associate in Ministry Leadership
- And more...