These degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration in elementary or primary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Some schools use a “looping system” where the same teacher teaches the same group of students for two years. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So the elementary school teacher needs flexibility to be able to teach across several systems/modes. They also need to be able to teach a range of areas and ages.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study elementary education online degrees, what’s studied in the programs, what the career prospects are, and more. You might also like to check out the online early childhood degrees.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the elementary education area, including an Associate of Arts in Elementary Education, an MS in Early Childhood Education and an MEd in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. To ensure graduates are able to teach children effectively in elementary education setting, programs typically include online elementary education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
Elementary education online programs can be taken at any level, and this will determine the range of jobs available. Graduates with a Bachelors degree in elementary education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary or early childhood learning environments. A Master of Education (MEd) in elementary education is often necessary for a position as an administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching elementary education in a college or university, a masters degree or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- BS in Early Childhood
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- And more...