These degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration in elementary or primary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Some schools use a “looping system” where the same teacher teaches the same group of students for two years. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So the elementary school teacher needs flexibility to be able to teach across several systems/modes. They also need to be able to teach a range of areas and ages.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study elementary education online degrees, what’s studied in the programs, what the career prospects are, and more. You might also like to check out the online early childhood degrees.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the elementary education area, including an Associate of Arts in Elementary Education, an MS in Early Childhood Education and an MEd in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. To ensure graduates are able to teach children effectively in elementary education setting, programs typically include online elementary education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
Elementary education online programs can be taken at any level, and this will determine the range of jobs available. Graduates with a Bachelors degree in elementary education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary or early childhood learning environments. A Master of Education (MEd) in elementary education is often necessary for a position as an administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching elementary education in a college or university, a masters degree or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Child Studies
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- BS Elementary Education
- MEd Elementary Education (K-6) Initial Licensure
- AS Teaching
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Transition to Teaching Certificate - Elementary
- Master of Education - Curriculum & Instruction & Track Online
- Master of Education - Post Masters Teachers Leadership Licensure Online
- And more...
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...