These degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration in elementary or primary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Some schools use a “looping system” where the same teacher teaches the same group of students for two years. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So the elementary school teacher needs flexibility to be able to teach across several systems/modes. They also need to be able to teach a range of areas and ages.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study elementary education online degrees, what’s studied in the programs, what the career prospects are, and more. You might also like to check out the online early childhood degrees.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the elementary education area, including an Associate of Arts in Elementary Education, an MS in Early Childhood Education and an MEd in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. To ensure graduates are able to teach children effectively in elementary education setting, programs typically include online elementary education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
Elementary education online programs can be taken at any level, and this will determine the range of jobs available. Graduates with a Bachelors degree in elementary education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary or early childhood learning environments. A Master of Education (MEd) in elementary education is often necessary for a position as an administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching elementary education in a college or university, a masters degree or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- M.S. in Elementary Education
- M.S. in TESOL
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education: English
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- BS in Psychology - Child Development
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Education in Career Switcher w/Licensure
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction - Christian School
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- BS in Early Childhood Development
- Undergrad in Early Childhood Development
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Certification Only)
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Education
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Curriculum & Instruction (EdD) (Online)