These degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration in elementary or primary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Some schools use a “looping system” where the same teacher teaches the same group of students for two years. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So the elementary school teacher needs flexibility to be able to teach across several systems/modes. They also need to be able to teach a range of areas and ages.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study elementary education online degrees, what’s studied in the programs, what the career prospects are, and more. You might also like to check out the online early childhood degrees.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the elementary education area, including an Associate of Arts in Elementary Education, an MS in Early Childhood Education and an MEd in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. To ensure graduates are able to teach children effectively in elementary education setting, programs typically include online elementary education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
Elementary education online programs can be taken at any level, and this will determine the range of jobs available. Graduates with a Bachelors degree in elementary education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary or early childhood learning environments. A Master of Education (MEd) in elementary education is often necessary for a position as an administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching elementary education in a college or university, a masters degree or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- Are you an aspiring educator wanting to start your career, or a current educator looking to advance yours?
- Learn about our College of Education!
- Many bachelor's, master's, and bridge programs available.
- Early childhood ed., elementary ed., secondary ed., special ed., TESOL & more
- Take courses online from home or at our campus in Phoenix, AZ.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today about your future in education!
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, , and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Early Childhood Education
- Instructional Design & Technology
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- E-Learning - EdS
- Global Training and Development - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...