Financial strategy and knowledge is vital if you want to plan the financial future of any organization regardless of its size. This particular sector is also essential for personal companies or small businesses seeking consulting services.
Financial planning degree programs provide the skills and knowledge needed for planning the financial future of any business. Pursuing a financial planning program is possible almost anywhere in the world since many colleges world wide offer the same type of courses. There is also room for flexibility as many of the colleges have on campus training as well as online learning. This page explains what the courses are, what employers expect, and what you can expect to earn. You might also like to check out the pages on Finance and Accounting.
What is studied in a financial planning program?
To get a clearer picture of a typical program outline, it is important to understand that the course offers core units of financial planning, insurance units, commercial law units and financial markets units. A typical financial planning program comprises core units, which make up the bulk of the program, and a small number of electives. The degree you take will most likely include courses on: principles of finance, personal finance, money markets, investment management, risk management and real estate finance.
Certification in finance is required by most employers of financial planners. To become a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), you need to pass a suitable financial planning program, pass the CFP exams, and follow a strict code of ethics.
Other certifications relevant to this field include Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC); Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA); Certified Management Accountant (CMA); Certified Cash Manager; and, Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
What are the prospects for graduates?
Let us start by looking at the opportunities that will be open to your exploitation upon successful completion of the degree in financial planning, considering the fact that financial planning careers are many and varied, ranging from the advisory roles to stock broking among many others. Your financial planning education will adequately equip you with the relevant skills to handle these challenges appropriately.
The demand for these particular skills upon graduation is almost guaranteed considering the fact that this knowledge is always a part of any one who seeks prosperity in business. As the economic markets continue to grow every day, we can clearly notice the stock markets gaining international stature and more investors are demanding the services of qualified personnel to help them exploit investment opportunities world wide.
The main advantage of working in this sector upon graduation is the fact that you have many opportunities open to you. You can work for as many individuals or small companies as you can handle and therefore increase your income potential. You may wish to set up a personal consulting company to be able to exploit your full potential and maximise your income.
When working in companies, the level of earning will depend on the level of the qualification you have, i.e., whether it is a certificate in financial planning, a bacheors or a graduate degree in financial planning. For fairly new graduates of a financial planning masters program, the average salary is about $100,000 per year, this figure of course varies upwards or downwards depending on the particular company and location. A PhD in financial planning can help get one of the top jobs in a company, or as faculty in a university or college. As one gets more experience and exposure, the earning potential also increases just like in other sectors.
List of schools and programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - Investment
- BS in Business Administration - Wealth Management
- BSFIN - Investments
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Finance and Economics
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Master - Finance
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Finance (BS) (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Finance
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Finance
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - Finance
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Finance and Investing
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Financial Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Financial Management - D.B.A.