Financial strategy and knowledge is vital if you want to plan the financial future of any organization regardless of its size. This particular sector is also essential for personal companies or small businesses seeking consulting services.
Financial planning degree programs provide the skills and knowledge needed for planning the financial future of any business. Pursuing a financial planning program is possible almost anywhere in the world since many colleges world wide offer the same type of courses. There is also room for flexibility as many of the colleges have on campus training as well as online learning. This page explains what the courses are, what employers expect, and what you can expect to earn. You might also like to check out the pages on Finance and Accounting.
What is studied in a financial planning program?
To get a clearer picture of a typical program outline, it is important to understand that the course offers core units of financial planning, insurance units, commercial law units and financial markets units. A typical financial planning program comprises core units, which make up the bulk of the program, and a small number of electives. The degree you take will most likely include courses on: principles of finance, personal finance, money markets, investment management, risk management and real estate finance.
Certification in finance is required by most employers of financial planners. To become a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), you need to pass a suitable financial planning program, pass the CFP exams, and follow a strict code of ethics.
Other certifications relevant to this field include Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC); Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA); Certified Management Accountant (CMA); Certified Cash Manager; and, Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
What are the prospects for graduates?
Let us start by looking at the opportunities that will be open to your exploitation upon successful completion of the degree in financial planning, considering the fact that financial planning careers are many and varied, ranging from the advisory roles to stock broking among many others. Your financial planning education will adequately equip you with the relevant skills to handle these challenges appropriately.
The demand for these particular skills upon graduation is almost guaranteed considering the fact that this knowledge is always a part of any one who seeks prosperity in business. As the economic markets continue to grow every day, we can clearly notice the stock markets gaining international stature and more investors are demanding the services of qualified personnel to help them exploit investment opportunities world wide.
The main advantage of working in this sector upon graduation is the fact that you have many opportunities open to you. You can work for as many individuals or small companies as you can handle and therefore increase your income potential. You may wish to set up a personal consulting company to be able to exploit your full potential and maximise your income.
When working in companies, the level of earning will depend on the level of the qualification you have, i.e., whether it is a certificate in financial planning, a bacheors or a graduate degree in financial planning. For fairly new graduates of a financial planning masters program, the average salary is about $100,000 per year, this figure of course varies upwards or downwards depending on the particular company and location. A PhD in financial planning can help get one of the top jobs in a company, or as faculty in a university or college. As one gets more experience and exposure, the earning potential also increases just like in other sectors.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Investment
- BS in Business Administration - Wealth Management
- BSFIN - Investments
- And more...
- Choose from over 200 career-focused online undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- One of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Finance - Investment & Securities
- MS Finance
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science : Financial Planning
- Master of Science : Finance
- Master of Science : Financial Analysis
- MS Finance - Investment & Securities
- Bachelor of Science in Finance with a Concentration in Financial Planning
- MS Finance
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Business - Finance
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Finance
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- MBA Finance
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Finance and Investing
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Finance
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Finance
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Finance (BS) (Online)