A health care administration degree provides the skills and knowledge that you require to help ensure that your organization has strong medical, operational, and financial administration. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying health care administration, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
As health care responds to the political directives, changing demographics and health needs of the population it serves, there is an even greater need for effective administration. An online degree in health care administration can provide the training you require to position yourself to meet the challenge.
This page includes programs suitable for a variety of positions in the health care industry, and you can find further details of these on the relevant pages, such as: Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Billing, and Medical Coding.
What are the education requirements for jobs in health care administration?
Short online certificate programs in health care administration are usually designed for health care professionals who have (or soon will have) supervisory or management responsibilities. The minimum requirement for participation is usually an associate degree, or equivalent experience.
A Bachelors degree is enough for some entry-level positions as administrative assistants, a few senior-level positions (department heads) in smaller operations, and for some middle management jobs in larger organizations.
A Masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care management field. Graduates with a Master’s degree can apply for jobs in the industry as associate administrator, supervisor or manager of a department. Some schools/colleges offer a joint degree, e.g., an online Masters degree in Business Administration and Public Health.
What is studied in health care administration degree programs?
Health care administration professionals are those responsible for ensuring that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration. They need to liaise with many departments, so a broad education is required in an online health care administration program.
Associate degree programs are designed to enable you to learn about the healthcare delivery system, and also to develop knowledge and skills in management. Topics might include: healthcare administration, healthcare finance, healthcare records, human resources, reimbursement systems, regulations and legal issues affecting healthcare organizations.
An online bachelors degree in health care administration will provide a foundation of general education and applied sciences, plus more specialized content, including: foundations of managed care; regulation and compliance; financial management; human resources management; medical law and ethics; quality improvement.
An online master of health care administration program is designed for students to learn to critically examine and evaluate issues. The same is true for an online PhD in health care administration but it also typically includes advanced research and course work in the health care field.
What are the salary and job prospects?
Due to an an aging population and changes in government policies, the demand for healthcare services in a variety of settings will continue to expand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow 16 percent from 2006 to 2016, faster than the average for all occupations.
With a health care administration associate degree, you can look for positions in health administration areas such as: medical records, medical claims, medical billing, release of information, patient financial representation.
With a bachelors degree, your studies prepare you to work as a healthcare manager in many areas of the industry, e,g., in clinics, hospitals, medical practice organizations, pharmaceutical companies.
The US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that healthcare will generate 3.2 million new jobs between 2008 and 2018, more than any other industry.
And what would the typical health administration salary be? Obviously earnings for health care administration jobs will vary depending on the size of the facility, experience, level of qualification and level of responsibility. In 2012, the median income for a licensed nursing home administrator was $84,980 and for a hospital administrator was $100,000 (PayScale.com).
List of schools and programs
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Health Information Management - Associate's
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Want to earn a bachelor's or master's degree in the high-demand business field?
- The Colangelo College of Business educates and develops values-driven business leaders.
- Finance, Accounting, Business Admin/Mgmt, Leadership, Sports Business, Public Administration & Marketing.
- Grand Canyon University offers these highly valued degree emphases and more! Learn about our Colangelo College of Business.
- Courses available online, on campus in Phoenix, or in other satellite locations throughout Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates & more!
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Medical Records
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Master of Public Health
- Online Executive Master of Health Administration