A health care administration degree provides the skills and knowledge that you require to help ensure that your organization has strong medical, operational, and financial administration. This page gives you more information about what is involved in studying health care administration, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
As health care responds to the political directives, changing demographics and health needs of the population it serves, there is an even greater need for effective administration. An online degree in health care administration can provide the training you require to position yourself to meet the challenge.
This page includes programs suitable for a variety of positions in the health care industry, and you can find further details of these on the relevant pages, such as: Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Billing, and Medical Coding.
What are the education requirements for jobs in health care administration?
Short online certificate programs in health care administration are usually designed for health care professionals who have (or soon will have) supervisory or management responsibilities. The minimum requirement for participation is usually an associate degree, or equivalent experience.
A Bachelors degree is enough for some entry-level positions as administrative assistants, a few senior-level positions (department heads) in smaller operations, and for some middle management jobs in larger organizations.
A Masters degree is required for almost every position in the health care management field. Graduates with a Master’s degree can apply for jobs in the industry as associate administrator, supervisor or manager of a department. Some schools/colleges offer a joint degree, e.g., an online Masters degree in Business Administration and Public Health.
What is studied in health care administration degree programs?
Health care administration professionals are those responsible for ensuring that their organizations have strong medical, operational, and financial administration. They need to liaise with many departments, so a broad education is required in an online health care administration program.
Associate degree programs are designed to enable you to learn about the healthcare delivery system, and also to develop knowledge and skills in management. Topics might include: healthcare administration, healthcare finance, healthcare records, human resources, reimbursement systems, regulations and legal issues affecting healthcare organizations.
An online bachelors degree in health care administration will provide a foundation of general education and applied sciences, plus more specialized content, including: foundations of managed care; regulation and compliance; financial management; human resources management; medical law and ethics; quality improvement.
An online master of health care administration program is designed for students to learn to critically examine and evaluate issues. The same is true for an online PhD in health care administration but it also typically includes advanced research and course work in the health care field.
What are the salary and job prospects?
Due to an an aging population and changes in government policies, the demand for healthcare services in a variety of settings will continue to expand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow 16 percent from 2006 to 2016, faster than the average for all occupations.
With a health care administration associate degree, you can look for positions in health administration areas such as: medical records, medical claims, medical billing, release of information, patient financial representation.
With a bachelors degree, your studies prepare you to work as a healthcare manager in many areas of the industry, e,g., in clinics, hospitals, medical practice organizations, pharmaceutical companies.
The US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that healthcare will generate 3.2 million new jobs between 2008 and 2018, more than any other industry.
And what would the typical health administration salary be? Obviously earnings for health care administration jobs will vary depending on the size of the facility, experience, level of qualification and level of responsibility. In 2012, the median income for a licensed nursing home administrator was $84,980 and for a hospital administrator was $100,000 (PayScale.com).
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Healthcare Management - HSA Mgt.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- CERT: Healthcare Management
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- MS in Exercise Science: Clinical
- And more...
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Business Administration Healthcare Practice Management Concentration
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Care Administration - MBA
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Business Aministration - Healthcare Administration