If you have an interest to work in the health industry, then you can obtain the knowledge and skills required through a broad range of degree programs such as healthcare administration, health IT, or physical therapy. For example, by taking a degree in health promotion, you would learn just how the public institutions along with education initiatives can be used to help promote well being and prevent disease. The program you would take would typically include classes in the areas of public policy, behavioral science and education.
But there are many other possible careers in the health industry and each has associated degree training. This page provides help in determining which program to take, where to find them, what the career prospects are, and more …
What is involved in studying health degrees?
Earning a bachelor degree through the program there is in this field will offer students interdisciplinary coursework in the health education, medical science and sociobiology. In most cases the program will emphasize on the preventions of the aspects of health care much more than its treatments, which shall cover topics such as nutrition, hygiene, and the environmental and occupational well being.
In health education degrees, students will learn methods that are used to coordinate public initiatives designed to help raise the awareness of the everyday activities which can increase the overall wellness of the population. There are some programs that specialize in the community education or even the health care administration, but in most cases these programs will provide plenty of knowledge in regard to the subject as a whole.
The educational prerequisites in regard to these programs will cover subjects that are in a variety of disciplines. All applicants that take part in this type of program will be required to have some strong skills with critical thinking, science and also communication. It can really help a student if they take classes in chemistry, biology, literature and speech, as these skills will be quite helpful when taking this kind of degree program.
Each of the classes shall teach the students how to apply their knowledge of any prevention of diseases, nutrition and how to raise the awareness of this matter to the community. The students will also learn how to communicate medical information so to diverse the population. Some of these courses in the subjects in most cases will be offered, such as mental, adult studies, contemporary issues, substance abuse issues and research and statistics in public that are in regard to this kind of program.
Careers, professional training and prospects
There are several popular career choices in regard to this field that can come from these types of degree programs. Some students will continue on to earn a masters in health, thereby increasing the range of possibilities open to them. Graduates will be able to work in medical clinics, hospitals, government agencies and doctor’s offices. There are plenty of students that choose to have a career as a primary school teacher, a public consultant and physician office manager.
There are many students who after earning their degree in this field, and go on to continue their education by becoming a teacher or registered nurses. The teachers in most cases will need to earn a bachelor or master degree and the registered nurses will need to pass the National Counsel License Examination and also they must meet the state requirements before they can ever work with any patients.
Here is a list of some of the professions that you can choose in this field:
- Environmental Health Specialists are trained to prevent the factors in our environment which can affect the health of the present and future generations.
- Health Education professionals direct educational programs for communities and work alongside other healthcare professionals to establish needs, develop goals, and assess the availability of healthcare services, in order to promote good health. Related professions are Dietetics, Health Promotion, Nutrition, and Public Health.
- Health IT is a very important area which deals with data in hospitals and medical facilities. It covers: Bioinformatics, Health Information Management, and Nursing Informatics.
- Health Care is a vast area, and includes health care management, medical assistance, nursing.
- Nursing professionals are those who interface directly with patients about their health care. They are always in demand all over the world.
The job outlook for graduate who earn their degree in any of the areas listed above is very promising as there are many people who will need some assistance in regard to their lifestyles and their health and wellness. The demand for health-related services is going to increase as a result of changes in legislation and an aging baby-boomer population. A new data release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals health is one of the industries that are going to grow the fastest between 2012 and 2022.
List of health schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (BS)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- BS/Nursing (RN to BSN)
- MA/Health Care Administration
- BA/Health Care Administration
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management