The linking of health and psychology is a relatively recent phenomenon. Even so, health psychology programs are very popular amongst students, many of them wishing to specialize in such areas as clinical and health psychology, health and wellness psychology, and even beauty psychology.
Health psychology is mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels. As a graduate you would be able to assist people to live healthy and more enjoyable lives by enhancing their nutrition, exercise, work-life balance, and their ability cope with the stresses of life. It is a broad field of study, and you might like to consider broadening your search by looking at the general psychology page.
This page tells you more about health psychology study, helps you to locate suitable university degree programs, and provides information on career prospects. It mainly has links to schools for students who wish to study online. If you wish to find on-campus health psychology programs, try also looking at the on-campus programs page.
What do you study in health psychology online programs?
Online health psychology is mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels.
In a masters health psychology program, you examine the biological, psychological, and social factors that influence health, illness prevention and health promotion. Click here for more details of the masters program.
In a PhD Health Psychology or Doctor of Pschology in Health, you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, but your aim will be to use the knowledge gained in the health psychology graduate program to assist people to live healthy and more effective lives by enhancing their nutrition, exercise, and work-life balance. As a health psychology doctoral student, you may be required to attend some residential workshops during your program. Click here for more details of the doctoral programs available.
What are the career prospects?
A Masters prepares you for work in a variety of healthcare organizations as a research assistant, project manager, or behavior specialist. Thus, one can find graduates of health psychology online degrees in management jobs or specialist positions in health and wellness counseling, education, training, testing, or research.
With a doctorate in health psychology it is possible to for you to work as a health analyst, consultant, or educator. The competition is tough, but it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000.
List of schools and programs
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Psychology (BA)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA) (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- MA Behavioral Economics
- B.A. in Psychology
- M.A. Psychology
- And more...
- Mental Health Technology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Community Support Worker