With ever increasing populations throughout the whole of the western world, it is no great surprise that there is an ever increasing reliance on health care services. Accordingly, it is one area of work where a marked rise in employment opportunities is being seen.
A health unit brings many facets of health care work together to provide a one-stop shop for patients. This takes a lot of organization, which is why more and more people are studying health unit coordination. Health unit coordinator certification provides the skills and knowledge to get you started in a career in health care assisting. This page gives you more information about what is involved, where you can study it online, and the job and salary prospects after completion.
What is studied in health unit coordinator certification programs?
Because of the front line work involved, many skills are needed. Good verbal and written communication skills are of course necessary. Further than this though, having an aptitude for numerous electronic record management systems will also be important. Such things, and more, are covered in the health unit coordinator certification programs.
A six month to one year course, the health unit coordinator certification programs are run in many states and can be achieved online. However, it is important to understand that training takes place both within a classroom, (for offline study), and within a clinical setting for both offline and online courses.
Through the health unit coordinator course, basic, intermediate and advanced clerical skills will be taught. These skills will also be supplemented by medical clerical training of course. Much of this will centre on the vast amount of medical terminology which, in itself, takes a lot of understanding and how hospitals, health care centers and the like are organized.
Possibly the most important part of the health unit coordinator certificate programs is the training regards ethical and legal responsibilities. All employees working in the sector need this training, and need to understand the responsibility of the role they are in. As such, it take a certain person to really excel in the role.
Prior to studying for health unit coordinator certification, it is necessary to be in possession of a GED or High School diploma. This ensures that basic aptitudes have been achieved. Further, many programs may only be recognized in certain states or geographic areas.
Nationally recognized certification through the National Health Unit Coordinator Certification Examination (NHUCCE) is available. Successful completion of this allows the use of Certified Health Unit Coordinator (CHUC) against a graduate’s name.
What are the salary and job prospects when pursuing a career in health unit coordination?
The trend for an increasing health care service is likely to be ever present. Behind this of course is the growing population. Though there are areas where general health is being improved, there are other areas where it is declining. With so many people going through the systems therefore, management of them will be key.
Controlling this therefore will be each unit’s coordinators job. Responsible for the management of everything that a health center deals with, they are responsible for ensuring a smooth process. Further than this though, they are also charged with the responsibility for handling patient records accurately, scheduling tests and examinations, handling staffing and liaising with medical staff.
Able to work in many settings, including hospitals, nursing homes and private clinics, students with health unit coordinator certification are also in high demand with insurance companies too. As such, health unit coordinator jobs are on the increase and remuneration is good, with an average health unit coordinator salary of $58,000 per annum, and a median grade of $42,000. Higher earnings are achievable of course, for those willing to continue their studies and knowledge base building.
List of schools and programs
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- MS in Nursing - Executive Leader
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management - Informatics
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Healthcare Administration, Health Informatics, Nursing and Health Sciences Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Health and Medical Assisting Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Medical Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.