A human resources management program prepares you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace and offers the opportunity to build a “people oriented” career in the corporate world. It provides a good start to your career in the business world, and in government and non-government organizations.
Depending on your qualifications, you can take an associates, bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in human resource management. This page tells you more about these programs, where you can find them, what jobs are open to you after graduation, future prospects and more …
What do you study in a human resources management program?
Human resources management has gained importance in recent years as employee recruitment and training for changing work practices for greater efficiency has become part of stategic planning. Changes in workplace legislation has also made the role of the HR professional crucial. A human resources management degree prepares you to become part of this new environment, for example mediating in harassment cases, ensuring equal opportunities regulations are followed, recruiting new personnel, and maintaining employee records.
The typical program at bachelors level might include: industrial psychology, organizational structure, information management, quantitative analysis, communication skills, health and safety rules, labor law, employee training, and compensations rights and benefits administration.
At masters level, programs that enrol graduates from other areas might include some of the content of the bachelors program, but at a more advanced level. A typical program might include: planning and development, compensation rights, global management, health and safety rules, labor law, hiring protocols, disciplinary action, dispute resolution, benefits administration, employee training and development, and employee relations.
What are the prospects for graduates?
There are many jobs available to human resource management graduates. But it would depend very much on the level of qualification.
A human resources bachelor’s degree will qualify you to apply for an entry-level human resources assistant job. With some experience you can apply for a position as: manager of recruitment, labor relations manager, compensation manager, equal employment opportunity coordinator.
There has been “qualifications creep” as more people now take masters, hence reducing the value of an ordinary bachelors degree human resources. Some masters graduates may be able to take up a position as an HR director, overseeing an HR department. Other positions that masters graduates might apply for include HR generalist, training coordinator, and HR information systems specialist. An HR generalist’s job would include providing the programs and polices that govern an HR department. A training coordinator would organise sessions to train employees. An HR information systems specialist would develop computer applications and information systems to help manage and organize employee and potential recruits information.
A steady increase in the number of human resource vacancies is expected over the coming decade (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). In 2010, human resources jobs entry level salary is about $53,000 per annum for a human resource generalist. But with a higher qualification and appropriate experience, an HR manager can earn around $83,500.
List of schools and programs
- Relentlessly reinventing higher education, helping busy adults reinvent their lives through education.
- Over 200 affordable online programs and one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- See yourself succeed at Southern New Hampshire University.
- MS Human Resource Management
- IMBA - Human Resources
- MBA with concentration in Human Resources
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Human Resource Development
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - HR Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resources Management
- And more...
- An online education institution dedicated to the study of Business Administration and Management.
- Provides guidance and support for each student from their first course to graduation and beyond through its Academic Mentoring program.
- Accepts transfer credits from accredited colleges and universities based on a course-by-course evaluation.
- Offers flexible payment plans designed to help students find the best options for their specific needs including scholarships, fellowships, and employer-sponsored tuition.
- MBA - Organizational Development and Human Resource Management
- AA - Business Administration
- BBA - Bachelor of Business Administration
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Associates in Business Management - Human Resource Management
- Associates in Business Management
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- MBA - Management
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Human Resource Management (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Management - D.B.A.
- Human Resources Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...