The humanities and the arts are academic disciplines which study the human condition. Arts and humanities research methods are primarily analytic, critical, or speculative, as opposed to the mainly empirical approaches of the natural and social sciences.
The majors/disciplines that can be taken in a humanities and art degree would include: Art and Design (Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication); Classical Studies; English (including TESOL); General Studies; History; Languages; Law; Liberal Arts; Library Science; Literature; Museum Studies; Performing Arts (Dance, Entertainment, Music, Theatre); Philosophy; Theology; Writing (Creative, Business, Technical).
If you want to study a degree in this area, this page provides more details of the programs available, where they can be taken, and more…
Art and Design
Disciplines/majors in Art and Design would include: Design, Interior Design, Video Game Development, Visual Arts, Visual Communication. Students typically take courses in the principles and techniques of working with color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and computer layout techniques.
English as a humanities and the arts major typically involves the study of the language itself (both spoken and written) and its cultural context. A degree in English also focuses on critical thinking and analysis, research skills, critical writing, and public speaking. This can prepare graduates for careers in writing, publishing, education, politics, law, business, and journalism.
Online English courses are very often designed to help students improve their reading comprehensive skills, and appropriate use of the language. In addition, there are online English courses which are designed to improve the language skills of students for whom English is not a first language. These courses fall under Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), English Second Language Learners (ESLL) or English as a Second Language (ESL).
As a more recent field in art and humanities, the purpose of technical writing is to explain technical details in a way that non-technical readers are able to read and understand. A degree in technical communication helps students develop skills in print, video, and online media where they work as a technical writer or editor. Their job is to interpret data, statistics, and other information, which is then, translated it into written material that is easily understood easily by nontechnical and technical and nontechnical users.
Video Game Development
Degrees in Video Game Development, games design, game art, game production or similar programs relating to video games education are the usual entry point into positions such as game and interactive software tester, game maintenance administrator, documentation writer, and support specialist. In your video games development degree you will usually be able to select a specialty, such as 3-D modeling and animation, digital illustration, 3D animation, broadcast graphic design, advergaming and storyboard art.
The goal of visual communication is to creatively display information and products, for example in public relations and promotions. This is one of the relatively new arts disciplines and has grown dramatically with the introduction of web-based advertising and the popularity of the Internet. A visual communications degree will prepare you with skills in graphic design, web design multimedia design, and interactive media.
Writing projects are a big part of the online creative writing degree program. Reading is also a major requirement most online creative writing courses. Some requirements may include readings in American literature, classic literature, and world literature. Some online writing programs may also offer courses in business writing for students who wish to enter a business career. In addition course work would be required in research practices, style manuals, and English grammar. There are many career options that graduates of a creative writing degree program can choose.
List of humanities and arts schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Liberal Studies
- Choose from over 200 career-focused online undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- One of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- Liberal Arts Certificate
- Liberal Arts Associate's Degree
- Liberal Arts Bachelor's Degree
- And more...
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Arts in Law and National Security
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - English
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- AA Liberal Arts
- BA General Studies
- BA History
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Liberal Studies (Associate of Arts) - Online
- Liberal Studies (Bachelor of Arts) - Online
- Science and Technology Multidisciplinary Studies (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- And more...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Arts: Professional Writing
- Bachelor of Fine Arts: Graphic Design
- MAR: Homiletics
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Liberal Arts (BA)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Liberal Studies