The study of information systems is about the science and practice of information storage, retrieval and transmission. It is a multidisciplinary area that draws knowledge and research from many fields, including business, computer science, and information technology.
It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it. A degree in IS provides valuable education to get started in the field and to progress in your information systems career. This page provides information about the degrees, where to study them, what’s involved, the career prospects, earning potential, and more. Information systems degrees are readily available on and off campus, but when taken online, these degrees can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career in informatics. This page has links to both online and on campus programs, but if you want more information about studying a campus-based program, check out the campus universities page. If you are interested in this area, you may also like to check out the information management training and the computer information systems degrees pages.
What do you study in information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in an information systems program will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Keep in mind that you will be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll in this degree. It will usually take an average of two years for an Associates Degree, and four years to obtain the Bachelors degree.
An information systems bachelor degree will include courses on computer systems and software, including: database systems and web design. You may also take management courses. Some programs, such as a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems, emphasize IS for management and its role in meeting the business needs of an organization. Information systems in the context of nursing (“nursing informatics”) – focuses on how to represent health care data and information.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. It has also been noted that there is a shortage of IS educated individuals in the United States today. Because of this, the market is wide open for those who are choosing to take advantage of it.
Information systems programs prepare graduates for lucrative careers such as: software developer, network administrator, computer programmer, webmaster, network engineer, systems designer, intelligence officer, or database manager in a number of fields, from business, to government and healthcare. Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. The demand for information systems managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually. A masters degree program can be easily be found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future.
Salaries will range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science.
List of schools and programs
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Computer Systems Security
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- MS in Management - Information Technology
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: Information Systems Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Information Processing
- Master of Science in Management : Information Technology
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Network Security - Associate
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Information Technology Management - Bachelor
- And more...
- BS - Information Systems and Cybersecurity
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a major public research university offering over 140 programs of study.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
- Master of Science in Management Information Systems