The study of information systems is about the science and practice of information storage, retrieval and transmission. It is a multidisciplinary area that draws knowledge and research from many fields, including business, computer science, and information technology.
It is a very well paying field, overall, but keep in mind that it takes a good education to get involved in it. A degree in IS provides valuable education to get started in the field and to progress in your information systems career. This page provides information about the degrees, where to study them, what’s involved, the career prospects, earning potential, and more. Information systems degrees are readily available on and off campus, but when taken online, these degrees can provide a flexible and convenient way for you to qualify for a prestigious career in informatics. This page has links to both online and on campus programs, but if you want more information about studying a campus-based program, check out the campus universities page. If you are interested in this area, you may also like to check out the information management training and the computer information systems degrees pages.
What do you study in information systems degrees?
Those who enroll in an information systems program will find that it is a science-intensive degree. Keep in mind that you will be required to have a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll in this degree. It will usually take an average of two years for an Associates Degree, and four years to obtain the Bachelors degree.
An information systems bachelor degree will include courses on computer systems and software, including: database systems and web design. You may also take management courses. Some programs, such as a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems, emphasize IS for management and its role in meeting the business needs of an organization. Information systems in the context of nursing (“nursing informatics”) – focuses on how to represent health care data and information.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has estimated that information technology is one of the fastest growing fields in the economy. It has also been noted that there is a shortage of IS educated individuals in the United States today. Because of this, the market is wide open for those who are choosing to take advantage of it.
Information systems programs prepare graduates for lucrative careers such as: software developer, network administrator, computer programmer, webmaster, network engineer, systems designer, intelligence officer, or database manager in a number of fields, from business, to government and healthcare. Many will choose to advance their career after a few years of working in this field. The demand for information systems managers is growing rapidly in the United States, and this is a job that requires a masters degree in most cases. These individuals usually make an average of $112,210 annually. A masters degree program can be easily be found online, and the individual can continue working and gaining experience while training for better career opportunities in the future.
Salaries will range from around $30,000 for those at the lower end of the field (receptionists and information clerks) to well over $100,000 for those who are in more specialized fields, such as those who are information systems managers or involved in research and science.
List of schools and programs
- Relentlessly reinventing higher education, helping busy adults reinvent their lives through education.
- Over 200 affordable online programs and one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- See yourself succeed at Southern New Hampshire University.
- IMBA - Information Technology Mgt
- MS Information Technology - Database Design
- Master of Science in Information Technology - IT Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Computer Systems Security
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Information Technology - Business
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Information Systems - Master
- Network Security - Associate
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Information Systems (MS)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - General
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology
- And more...