Taking a law enforcement degree is a way to enter an exciting career. With a police degree you have good job prospects. Police officers prevent crime, rescue people, answer cries for help and have many other duties that relate to the health and safety of the public. A career in this area is one that is very important in everyone’s lives and there are many different areas in which to work. There is a constant demand for employees in this field, due to retirements and enlarging police forces.
Studying law enforcement online is a way to enter an exciting career by studying in the privacy of one’s home. This page outlines what is involved in these programs, where you can find suitable schools, what the career prospects are, and more. If you are interested in other aspects of Criminal Justice, check out the pages for Forensic Science, and Forensic Psychology.
What do you study in a law enforcement program?
The majority of employers in this field require an associates or bachelors degree. Courses are taken in legal issues, human behavior, psychology, investigation techniques, supervision, computers and related subjects.
A Criminal Justice Bachelor’s degree, that specializes in investigation and law enforcement is especially relevant for a career as a law enforcement officer. However, any of the degrees in the list above are desirable and will open many doors in this field. Some agencies will hire a person with a high school diploma or GED who takes classes to receive certification. There are continual upgrading courses through a person’s career aimed at professional development and improved training.
What are the requirements for the job?
With the many different law enforcement jobs a person with this degree would be able to obtain, there are some basic expectations. A graduate of law enforcement should be able to deal in human relations in a calm and collected manner, know the law and how to apply it, as well as have training to defend themselves or others in a critical situation. If working as a police detective they should know how to handle a crime scene and collect evidence, as well as know how to present evidence in a court of law if required. They would be expected to know how to handle a firearm and know when it should or should not be used. There is usually additional on-the-job training, depending on what position one secures.
When applying for any of these positions there will be a written examination as well as a physical one. Anyone entering this field needs to be in good physical condition and almost all police departments require further law enforcement training, with some having their own training academy. This training would include working with firearms, reviewing the law, practicing emergency situations and other events that might occur as an officer.
What jobs and salaries can you get as graduate of law enforcement?
Salaries for these positions is very good but do vary from state to state. Average salaries go from $44,160 to $80,000 depending on rank and experience. Some places, such as the District of Columbia, New Jersey, and California reported salaries in the $100,000 range, with Illinois and Nevada reporting $89,000. Salaries, as stated, depend on the state and the position but, in any case, it is a very good and secure job to have.
In addition to the salary there are many benefits in this position. Common benefits are sick leave, paid vacation, medical and life insurance and retirement plans. Some departments have allowances for such things as uniforms. In addition, a good number have a pension plan that allows one to retire at half pay after 25-30 years of service.
The law enforcement careers available for a person with a relevant degree are many. There are jobs such as Home Land Security, Correctional Officers, US Transportation Security, Customs, Border Patrol, US Immigration, Law Enforcement, Guards and many more. A visit to the Internet Bureau of Labor Statistics site will show thousands of places where a degree in this field would apply.
There is a constant demand for people with this type of education. Federal and State law enforcement agencies have more competition for positions than local ones do. The expected employment growth is 11% by 2016. Obtaining a degree in law enforcement online is the way to qualify for one of these excellent jobs while fulfilling a community and national need.
List of schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, and more.
- Advanced degrees in criminal justice help working professionals stay up to date on the latest law enforcement practices.
- Some programs offer the opportunity for hands-on experience working on real criminal cases.
- Flexible online and campus-based programs available.
- BS in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- BS in Criminal Justice - Crime Scene Investigation
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Criminal Justice (BS) (Online)
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Available programs include B.S. and M.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Legal Studies, and A.S. in Paralegal Studies.
- Accreditation for the Legal Studies and Paralegal Studies programs by the American Bar Association (ABA) at select campuses.
- Criminal Justice and Legal Studies programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Criminal Justice (BS)
- Criminal Justice (MS)
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
New England College was founded in 1946 to educate soldiers coming home from war. The same great support system that welcomed returning GIs is still a hallmark of NEC today. From enrollment services representatives who’ll guide you through the application process to interactive tools that help you collaborate with instructors and classmates, NEC inspires you to reach the milestones of your educational journey.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.