Leadership psychologists seek to understand and change the interactions between people, and between individuals and the larger social environment. Leadership psychology programs develop the knowledge and skills required. They focus on the study of group dynamics from a leadership perspective, looking in particular at leadership behavior and leadership attitudes. You can study leadership psychology online and on campus at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels. You can also study leadership in the context of a business psychology or organizational psychology degree.
If you are thinking of taking one of the leadership psychology degrees online then this page will help you to find out more about the program and locate suitable university programs, as well as giving an indication of the future prospects in this field. Many students who are are unable to attend on campus classes (e.g., because of work or personal circumstances) prefer to take leadership distance learning programs. This mode of learning gives them flexibility and control over their study program. So this page has links to online schools for those students, as well as links to campus-based schools. You may also wish to look at the leadership pages as a field related to this one.
Listed on this page are selected schools where you can study leadership psychology and other closely related programs. Request information from several schools and consider the admission requirements list of each to make sure you have the information and the qualifications they require. Consider applying for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way you will maximize your chances of being accepted by one of them.
What do you study in a leadership psychology program?
Careers in leadership psychology require you to deal with people in a number of business settings. These skills are generic and so are easily transferred from one job to another should you decide to change in the future. They include: Business skills, Communication skills, Team building skills, Management skills, Leadership skills, Analytical skills, Motivational skills, Consulting skills, Evaluation of programs skills, Critical thinking skills, and Market Research skills.
In a leadership psychology masters degree you learn about how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business so as to create work environments conducive to better performance. So you would also need to cover the following knowledge and skills in greater depth: Communication, management, team building, motivational psychology, analysis and evaluation, decision making psychology, leadership influences, leadership attitudes, and critical thinking.
What are the career prospects for graduates of leadership psychology?
Accredited online degrees in leadership psychology provide many career opportunities in the private and public sectors. And prospects are good. Many leadership psychologists work in Human Resource (HR) departments. With a bachelor’s degree in leadership psychology, you could work as a human resources generalist but in order to advance in your career, a master’s degree in leadership psychology is often required.
With a masters degree in leadership psychology, you can begin a career in human resources as a facilitator in corporate communications, team building, or coordinating professional development and leadership training programs. With an online masters in leadership psychology degree you could also work in executive search firms. Some leadership psychologists find work as a research consultant, or in universities researching and teaching leadership and decision making psychology. However, a PhD is usually required for such positions.
Salaries are high among some of the jobs that leadership psychologists take, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). With over 20 years experience you could expect to earn over US70,000 per annum. Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consulting Assistant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology Specialization
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Organizational Management (BS) (Online)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Available programs include a B.A. in Psychology and an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health & Counseling.
- Courses allow students to explore general psychology and behavioral health, as well as several experimental & research concentrations.
- Psychology programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Psychology (BA)
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Human Resource Management
- MA Psychology
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Apply managerial and business processes to information systems.
- Conduct systems analysis to manage complex projects.
- Design business intelligence solutions to meet organizational objectives.
- Analyze complex data to support strategic decision making
- Bachelors in Human Resource Management
- BS - Organizational Leadership
- MS - Organizational Leadership
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).