A Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) qualification is an excellent starting point for a career in nursing. But there will come a point at which you may wish to take on more responsibility. An LVN to RN program is one designed to enable you to become a Registered Nurse (RN), and so provide progression in your career in nursing. It provides a pathway for you to advance your nursing career in order to be able to handle more complex responsibilities in the medical field. For example, as an RN, you would be expected to help with the preparation of care plans for patients and also to treat patients.
This page has details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are, and more …
Career overview for someone taking this program
The dynamics of the registered nurses responsibilities keep changing everyday. There are constant changes in the patient care and medicine administration with lots of improvements being seen in the field. Obtaining registration in nursing can lead to you getting a job in emergency medical facilities, surgical centers, health maintenance organizations, nursing homes, private medical facilities etc.
This is an industry that needs very compassionate people who can help to offer heath care services in a more professional manner. Knowing some communication skills in your nursing degree is vital to keep your bridging gap between the patient and his family a success.
As a registered practitioner you will be in charge of supervising nursing aides, LPNs, nursing assistants, orderlies, nursing care technicians as well as many more junior health care personnel. In many cases, you will be working under the close assistance of a physician but can be in control of provision of initial medication and assessment of patients.
LVN to RN training and programs
If you already are a Licensed Vocational Nurse and you wish to become a Registered Nurse, you will need to take a qualifying program that prepares you for the registration. This can either be an associate degree in nursing (ADN) or a bachelors degree in nursing (BSN). Some colleges provide special RN transition or RN bridge programs that credit the work already covered in the LVN program.
Both the LVN to ADN and the LVN to BSN programs will typically comprise general education, science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. They will most likely include: anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, sociology, psychology, human development, gerontology, nursing science, pharmacology, and communication skills. The LVN to BSN degree will extend the content and depth further. A BSN will typically take two years to complete for a nurse with an LVN or an LPN license.
What are the career prospects after registration?
Just like many other businesses, there is so much change that keeps occurring in the health care sector every passing day. There is so much financial, federal practice and state guidelines, and budgetary constraints. With the degree you will be able to face the state licensing restrictions, health care changes, specialties, registered nurses work settings, and emergency handling changes in a more professional manner. This will no doubt make you a well sought after professional in the health sector.
There is so much growth in the medical industry to give opportunities to those pursuing this program. The U.S. Department of Labor projects a continued rise in the employment opportunities of registered nurses till 2016 and even beyond. Job openings are bound to be available in multiple percentages in physician offices, hospitals, nursing care facilities, residential care facilities, outpatient care centers, local, state and federal government agencies among others. It is therefore a positive thing to take up an elevating course in the medical/nursing field and open opportunities for your future.
As you look into the income rankings which you can expect once in employment, you need to realize that the number of years you have worked, your area of operation in the country and some other minimal factors like the industry of work may influence your remuneration. The U.S. Department of Labor shows that you can get from slightly below $40,250 to above $83,440.
Earnings by industry also vary with specifications given for registered nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals, nursing care facilities, employment services, offices of physicians and home health care services.
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education