A Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) qualification is an excellent starting point for a career in nursing. But there will come a point at which you may wish to take on more responsibility. An LVN to RN program is one designed to enable you to become a Registered Nurse (RN), and so provide progression in your career in nursing. It provides a pathway for you to advance your nursing career in order to be able to handle more complex responsibilities in the medical field. For example, as an RN, you would be expected to help with the preparation of care plans for patients and also to treat patients.
This page has details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are, and more …
Career overview for someone taking this program
The dynamics of the registered nurses responsibilities keep changing everyday. There are constant changes in the patient care and medicine administration with lots of improvements being seen in the field. Obtaining registration in nursing can lead to you getting a job in emergency medical facilities, surgical centers, health maintenance organizations, nursing homes, private medical facilities etc.
This is an industry that needs very compassionate people who can help to offer heath care services in a more professional manner. Knowing some communication skills in your nursing degree is vital to keep your bridging gap between the patient and his family a success.
As a registered practitioner you will be in charge of supervising nursing aides, LPNs, nursing assistants, orderlies, nursing care technicians as well as many more junior health care personnel. In many cases, you will be working under the close assistance of a physician but can be in control of provision of initial medication and assessment of patients.
LVN to RN training and programs
If you already are a Licensed Vocational Nurse and you wish to become a Registered Nurse, you will need to take a qualifying program that prepares you for the registration. This can either be an associate degree in nursing (ADN) or a bachelors degree in nursing (BSN). Some colleges provide special RN transition or RN bridge programs that credit the work already covered in the LVN program.
Both the LVN to ADN and the LVN to BSN programs will typically comprise general education, science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. They will most likely include: anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, sociology, psychology, human development, gerontology, nursing science, pharmacology, and communication skills. The LVN to BSN degree will extend the content and depth further. A BSN will typically take two years to complete for a nurse with an LVN or an LPN license.
What are the career prospects after registration?
Just like many other businesses, there is so much change that keeps occurring in the health care sector every passing day. There is so much financial, federal practice and state guidelines, and budgetary constraints. With the degree you will be able to face the state licensing restrictions, health care changes, specialties, registered nurses work settings, and emergency handling changes in a more professional manner. This will no doubt make you a well sought after professional in the health sector.
There is so much growth in the medical industry to give opportunities to those pursuing this program. The U.S. Department of Labor projects a continued rise in the employment opportunities of registered nurses till 2016 and even beyond. Job openings are bound to be available in multiple percentages in physician offices, hospitals, nursing care facilities, residential care facilities, outpatient care centers, local, state and federal government agencies among others. It is therefore a positive thing to take up an elevating course in the medical/nursing field and open opportunities for your future.
As you look into the income rankings which you can expect once in employment, you need to realize that the number of years you have worked, your area of operation in the country and some other minimal factors like the industry of work may influence your remuneration. The U.S. Department of Labor shows that you can get from slightly below $40,250 to above $83,440.
Earnings by industry also vary with specifications given for registered nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals, nursing care facilities, employment services, offices of physicians and home health care services.
List of schools and programs
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education