A Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) qualification is an excellent starting point for a career in nursing. But there will come a point at which you may wish to take on more responsibility. An LVN to RN program is one designed to enable you to become a Registered Nurse (RN), and so provide progression in your career in nursing. It provides a pathway for you to advance your nursing career in order to be able to handle more complex responsibilities in the medical field. For example, as an RN, you would be expected to help with the preparation of care plans for patients and also to treat patients.
This page has details of the programs, where they can be taken, what the career prospects are, and more …
Career overview for someone taking this program
The dynamics of the registered nurses responsibilities keep changing everyday. There are constant changes in the patient care and medicine administration with lots of improvements being seen in the field. Obtaining registration in nursing can lead to you getting a job in emergency medical facilities, surgical centers, health maintenance organizations, nursing homes, private medical facilities etc.
This is an industry that needs very compassionate people who can help to offer heath care services in a more professional manner. Knowing some communication skills in your nursing degree is vital to keep your bridging gap between the patient and his family a success.
As a registered practitioner you will be in charge of supervising nursing aides, LPNs, nursing assistants, orderlies, nursing care technicians as well as many more junior health care personnel. In many cases, you will be working under the close assistance of a physician but can be in control of provision of initial medication and assessment of patients.
LVN to RN training and programs
If you already are a Licensed Vocational Nurse and you wish to become a Registered Nurse, you will need to take a qualifying program that prepares you for the registration. This can either be an associate degree in nursing (ADN) or a bachelors degree in nursing (BSN). Some colleges provide special RN transition or RN bridge programs that credit the work already covered in the LVN program.
Both the LVN to ADN and the LVN to BSN programs will typically comprise general education, science, nursing theory and clinical nursing. They will most likely include: anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, sociology, psychology, human development, gerontology, nursing science, pharmacology, and communication skills. The LVN to BSN degree will extend the content and depth further. A BSN will typically take two years to complete for a nurse with an LVN or an LPN license.
What are the career prospects after registration?
Just like many other businesses, there is so much change that keeps occurring in the health care sector every passing day. There is so much financial, federal practice and state guidelines, and budgetary constraints. With the degree you will be able to face the state licensing restrictions, health care changes, specialties, registered nurses work settings, and emergency handling changes in a more professional manner. This will no doubt make you a well sought after professional in the health sector.
There is so much growth in the medical industry to give opportunities to those pursuing this program. The U.S. Department of Labor projects a continued rise in the employment opportunities of registered nurses till 2016 and even beyond. Job openings are bound to be available in multiple percentages in physician offices, hospitals, nursing care facilities, residential care facilities, outpatient care centers, local, state and federal government agencies among others. It is therefore a positive thing to take up an elevating course in the medical/nursing field and open opportunities for your future.
As you look into the income rankings which you can expect once in employment, you need to realize that the number of years you have worked, your area of operation in the country and some other minimal factors like the industry of work may influence your remuneration. The U.S. Department of Labor shows that you can get from slightly below $40,250 to above $83,440.
Earnings by industry also vary with specifications given for registered nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals, nursing care facilities, employment services, offices of physicians and home health care services.
List of schools and programs
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma