An assortment of administrative health information related functions are handled by professionals in the field of medical reimbursement. But their job is primarily to ensure that the complex medical insurance billing and coding process goes easily. It is the perfect career for people that enjoy working with the public as much of the time will be dedicated to speaking with insurance companies and patients. You can obtain the skills and knowledge required by taking one of the many medical reimbursement programs available or in a medical assisting program.
As a professional in this field you will need to have skills in managing records, filing claims, preparing forms for insurance companies, and handling billing. It is also important to have training in reimbursement methods, anatomy, medical information, office practice, medical law and ethics. Many programs will help you to develop and fine tune these skills. This page contains further information about the training, where you can obtain it, the prospects after completion, and more.
What are the prospects in this field?
The employment outlook in this field is very good, those with a strong understanding of computers and technology will be in high demand. Employment in this field is expected to increase by as much as 20% through 2018. Employment growth will be the result of the number of medical tests, treatments and procedures performed. Due to the aging population, health related problems will likely increase. With an increase of the use of electronic health records, the need for technicians will increase to cover the added responsibility associated with the electronic data management.
Employees that work in medical insurance billing and coding typically work a 40 hour week. There may be overtime once in a while. In facilities such as hospitals, they may work day, evening and night shifts. There are some part time positions also available. For a person that is interested in the medical field but does not wish to work with patients in a hands-on capacity, this job may be the perfect fit. It is one of the few occupations in the health field that does not involve patient care.
As a graduate of this type of program, you may work in a number of different places including clinics, urgent care centers, hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, insurance companies, and medical supply businesses, to name a few. A job as a biller in a medical office, with this certification can expect to make between $12 and $15 dollars per hour.
The geographic location is one of many elements that will influence your salary as a medical billing and coding specialist. In areas that the cost of living is higher, such as Dallas, a person in this profession can expect to earn between $30,968 and $41,500 annually. In contrast, a person doing this job in Los Angeles can expect to earn $31,880 to $52,792 annually.
The type of company that you work for as well as your education level and hands on work experience will also affect your salary. With this being said, the average median salary for this profession was between $38,137 and $50,002 at the end of December 2010. The top ten percent earned $55,590 and more.
The more experience one has in this field can help boost their salary. Other ways to increase pay include focusing on a career specialty such as Medicare coding or working with the cancer registry. With enough experience it is very possible to advance to management or supervisory positions overseeing specific areas such as correspondence or discharge.
List of schools with medical reimbursement programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (MSN)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Records
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- MPA in Healthcare Administration and Public Health
- MBA in Health Care Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Health Care Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Business Administration: Healthcare Management
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization