An assortment of administrative health information related functions are handled by professionals in the field of medical reimbursement. But their job is primarily to ensure that the complex medical insurance billing and coding process goes easily. It is the perfect career for people that enjoy working with the public as much of the time will be dedicated to speaking with insurance companies and patients. You can obtain the skills and knowledge required by taking one of the many medical reimbursement programs available or in a medical assisting program.
As a professional in this field you will need to have skills in managing records, filing claims, preparing forms for insurance companies, and handling billing. It is also important to have training in reimbursement methods, anatomy, medical information, office practice, medical law and ethics. Many programs will help you to develop and fine tune these skills. This page contains further information about the training, where you can obtain it, the prospects after completion, and more.
What are the prospects in this field?
The employment outlook in this field is very good, those with a strong understanding of computers and technology will be in high demand. Employment in this field is expected to increase by as much as 20% through 2018. Employment growth will be the result of the number of medical tests, treatments and procedures performed. Due to the aging population, health related problems will likely increase. With an increase of the use of electronic health records, the need for technicians will increase to cover the added responsibility associated with the electronic data management.
Employees that work in medical insurance billing and coding typically work a 40 hour week. There may be overtime once in a while. In facilities such as hospitals, they may work day, evening and night shifts. There are some part time positions also available. For a person that is interested in the medical field but does not wish to work with patients in a hands-on capacity, this job may be the perfect fit. It is one of the few occupations in the health field that does not involve patient care.
As a graduate of this type of program, you may work in a number of different places including clinics, urgent care centers, hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, insurance companies, and medical supply businesses, to name a few. A job as a biller in a medical office, with this certification can expect to make between $12 and $15 dollars per hour.
The geographic location is one of many elements that will influence your salary as a medical billing and coding specialist. In areas that the cost of living is higher, such as Dallas, a person in this profession can expect to earn between $30,968 and $41,500 annually. In contrast, a person doing this job in Los Angeles can expect to earn $31,880 to $52,792 annually.
The type of company that you work for as well as your education level and hands on work experience will also affect your salary. With this being said, the average median salary for this profession was between $38,137 and $50,002 at the end of December 2010. The top ten percent earned $55,590 and more.
The more experience one has in this field can help boost their salary. Other ways to increase pay include focusing on a career specialty such as Medicare coding or working with the cancer registry. With enough experience it is very possible to advance to management or supervisory positions overseeing specific areas such as correspondence or discharge.
List of schools with medical reimbursement programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Healthcare Administration, Health Informatics, Nursing and Health Sciences Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Health and Medical Assisting Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Medical Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.