It would be useful to have a list OER websites, i.e., web sites that include OER or link to them. Such a list would be even more useful if it could provide the urls of the websites together with brief descriptions about them.
Accompanying the massive growth in online and distance learning, there has been an exponential growth in interest in OER, and more and more organizations and associations are making content available. One problem with this massive growth in material is that there are no centrally agreed standards. So you never know what you’re going to get when you do an Internet search. Perhaps because of this, some sites provide lists of websites that have passed their quality criteria as regards the OER they provide.
Any list of web sites is bound to be out of date as soon as it is published. However, for people just starting to explore OER, here is one list of important websites, adapted from a published list courtesy of the author and publisher …
List of OER Web Sites
Kinuthia, W. 2009, “Open Resources for Open Learning in Developing Countries: Deciphering Trends for Policies, Quality, and Standards Considerations”. In S. Marshall, W. Kinuthia and W. Taylor (Eds) Bridging the knowledge divide: Educational technology for development, Information Age, Charlotte, NC, USA.
|Open Educational Resource||Resource Description and Features|
|Collaborative environment for developing, sharing, and publishing scholarly content on the Web.|
|Commonwealth of Learning (COL)||Wiki-based portal for development of free educational content.|
|Scalable general-purpose digital object repository system that supports repositories, digital libraries, content management, digital asset management, scholarly publishing, and digital preservation.|
|Harvard Open Collections Program (OCP)||Provides online access to Harvard’s libraries, archives, and museums.|
|The Open University “LearningSpace“||The LearningSpace provides free access to Open University course materials to learners anywhere in the world. Excellent for teachers as it provides dowloadable, fully adaptable, courses/modules in many formats. Particularly useful if you’re using Moodle because you can simply download it, and open it in your system.|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) OpenCourseWare (OCW)||Large-scale e-publishing initiative that provides free, searchable access to MIT’s course materials for educators, students, and self-learners globally.|
|Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching
|Searchable collection of peer-reviewed learning materials created by registered members, and a set of faculty development support services.|
|National Science Digital Library (NSDL)
|Created by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) to provide organized access to high quality resources and tools that support innovations in teaching and learning.|
|Open Archives Initiative (OAI)
|Develops and promotes interoperability standards that aim to facilitate the efficient dissemination of content.|
|OER Commons||OER Commons for educators and learners worldwide.|
|A Wiki-based collaborative project aiming to build a collectively created online encyclopedia.|
|Media repository for freely licensed photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text, video clips, created and maintained by volunteers.|
More OER Websites
Click on the other resource links on this site:
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Accounting (Associate's)
- Business (Associate's)
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- And more...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology
- And more...
- MBA with concentration in Quantitative Analysis
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- BA Communications - New Media
- And more...