It would be useful to have a list OER websites, i.e., web sites that include OER or link to them. Such a list would be even more useful if it could provide the urls of the websites together with brief descriptions about them.
Accompanying the massive growth in online and distance learning, there has been an exponential growth in interest in OER, and more and more organizations and associations are making content available. One problem with this massive growth in material is that there are no centrally agreed standards. So you never know what you’re going to get when you do an Internet search. Perhaps because of this, some sites provide lists of websites that have passed their quality criteria as regards the OER they provide.
Any list of web sites is bound to be out of date as soon as it is published. However, for people just starting to explore OER, here is one list of important websites, adapted from a published list courtesy of the author and publisher …
List of OER Web Sites
Kinuthia, W. 2009, “Open Resources for Open Learning in Developing Countries: Deciphering Trends for Policies, Quality, and Standards Considerations”. In S. Marshall, W. Kinuthia and W. Taylor (Eds) Bridging the knowledge divide: Educational technology for development, Information Age, Charlotte, NC, USA.
|Open Educational Resource||Resource Description and Features|
|Collaborative environment for developing, sharing, and publishing scholarly content on the Web.|
|Commonwealth of Learning (COL)||Wiki-based portal for development of free educational content.|
|Scalable general-purpose digital object repository system that supports repositories, digital libraries, content management, digital asset management, scholarly publishing, and digital preservation.|
|Harvard Open Collections Program (OCP)||Provides online access to Harvard’s libraries, archives, and museums.|
|The Open University “LearningSpace“||The LearningSpace provides free access to Open University course materials to learners anywhere in the world. Excellent for teachers as it provides dowloadable, fully adaptable, courses/modules in many formats. Particularly useful if you’re using Moodle because you can simply download it, and open it in your system.|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) OpenCourseWare (OCW)||Large-scale e-publishing initiative that provides free, searchable access to MIT’s course materials for educators, students, and self-learners globally.|
|Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching
|Searchable collection of peer-reviewed learning materials created by registered members, and a set of faculty development support services.|
|National Science Digital Library (NSDL)
|Created by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) to provide organized access to high quality resources and tools that support innovations in teaching and learning.|
|Open Archives Initiative (OAI)
|Develops and promotes interoperability standards that aim to facilitate the efficient dissemination of content.|
|OER Commons||OER Commons for educators and learners worldwide.|
|A Wiki-based collaborative project aiming to build a collectively created online encyclopedia.|
|Media repository for freely licensed photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text, video clips, created and maintained by volunteers.|
More OER Websites
Click on the other resource links on this site:
List of schools and programs
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Government - Law and Public Policy
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- RN to MSN (Online)
- RN to BSN (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- And more...
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
- Accounting (Associate's)
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...