Open educational resources (OER) are digitized materials that are available for use and re-use in teaching, learning, and research, very often under a Creative Commons license. In this page you can find out more about the many benefits – and some challenges – in using these valuable resources …
As part of the general and rapidly spreading open access movement, open educational resources have become extremely important for online and distance learning – both from the point of view of the teacher and the student.
The benefits of open educational resources (OER) courseware
Open educational resources are extremely important for teachers looking for lesson plans resources or for assisting institutions to get online programs up and running easily and quickly – and within the small budget that they are often working with.
Clearly there are many benefits of open access courseware, but the main ones include:
- Low or no cost to users, as products are generally free to access and download;
- Shorter development cycle due to the collaborative, parallel efforts of developers;
- Adaptability to suit own conditions.
But there are other challenges in using open educational resources in the development of educational courseware.
Open educational resources for teachers and students
Checkout these resource links on this site:
And checkout Project Gutenberg, which offers over 38,000 free ebooks. All the ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers, and have been digitized and diligently proofread with the help of thousands of volunteers.
Open Access Journals
Open Access Journals are ones that allow readers to access the contents without payment. Click on the links in the navigation bar on the left to access the contents of the journals listed:
Finding open educational resources
There are now many open educational resources websites devoted to providing access for educationalists. The challenge is to keep up with them all and to sort out the most useful for your own purpose.
By far the best way to find Creative Commons material is to use the Google advanced search and then specify the “Usage Rights” as “free to use, share and modify”. That should bring up the latest list of stuff for any specific subject or area you choose. You can use the Google search facility on this site to do this.
Another convenient way to search for open access material is to use search.creativecommons.org. Note that this is not a search engine, but rather offers convenient access to search services provided by other independent organizations.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Government - Law and Public Policy
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- And more...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- BS - Business Management
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- Master - Information Technology Management
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Accounting (Associate's)
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
Dreaming of a future in Cosmetology? Enjoy the personal rewards of helping people look and feel their best.
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Computer Networking Technology
- Medical Assistant
- Computer Support Technician
- And more...