Office administration programs provide the skills necessary to work at any level from clerical, administrative to supervisory capacity in an organization. Despite the constant advancement in technology, firms will always be in need of qualified and highly trained assistants to work in their offices. Such staff are required to ensure that the daily activities of the office run smoothly.
Those who acquire an office administration degree will find that they have many career opportunities. These degree programs enable them to compete in the job market and can be the starting point to a great career in this field. This page tells you what’s involved in taking administration courses, where you can take them, what your prospects are after completion, and more. You might also like to check the page on secretary training.
Basic administrator training
The students learn how an office works and how it is run. This includes personnel management, administrative tasks, accounting among other skills. There is emphasis on use of office automation and technology. One is thus prepared for office assistant jobs and also provided with the office management training necessary for a managerial role in various office environments. The other emphasis is on document preparation, office procedure and culture, computer applications in business, communication skills and office ethics and etiquette.
The students are thus taught courses and skills to enable them work in office settings, filing, processing business materials and supervising their fellow workers. Such courses and skills may include use of business information systems, keyboarding, business law skills, word processing and business communication skills. Other skills include spreadsheet skills, supervisory skills, database management abilities, information systems skills and Microsoft software skills among others.
Prospects after administration training
This course enables the graduate to choose from a wide range of career fields. Since technology and businesses keep changing, there is great demand for people who can offer the much needed services to such businesses. Every business needs staff to work in the administration department. These graduates can therefore get an office administrator job or similar in the finance industry, insurance industry, manufacturing, sales and publishing among many other fields.
There will always be a high demand for those who have undertaken this course. This due to the fact that new businesses are opened on a daily basis international. Also, businesses keep expanding and merging thus requiring more staff.
The job outlook for these graduates is thus excellent as businesses need office administrators and assistants who are properly and highly trained. This is to ensure proper and smooth work-flow in the office. These graduates are therefore in highest demand in all areas of business and this demand will not stop growing.
The salaries paid to these graduates may vary from one organization to another. However, an office supervisor or office manager salary may be about $45,000 per year. An office administrative assistant could earn about $37,000 annually. They may also be entitled to other benefits including health cover, vacation pay and travel allowances among other benefits.
List of schools and programs
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- AS in Business Office Management
- Encompasses the Lincoln Tech, Lincoln Culinary Institute, and Lincoln College of New England brands.
- Lincoln schools made more than $15 million available nationally through scholarships to qualified students in 2015.
- Designated a Military Friendly School for the 6th year in a row by Victory Media; offers exclusive scholarship for servicemen and women and their families.
- First Lincoln Tech campus opened in 1946; now 30 campuses in 15 states across the United States.
- Campuses are accredited by the ACICS, ACCSC, ABHES, and NEASC
- Medical Office Management
- Administrative Assistant/Secretary
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Administrative Office Professional
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- DIP - Business Office Specialist
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AAS in Business Administration - Office Management
- Medical Office Administration
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Office Assistant I - Day
- Office Assistant II - Day
- Office Assistant I - Eve
- And more...
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students.
- Associate of Science in Administrative Office Management
- Executive Administrative Assistant Diploma
- Office Administration
- Oil & Gas Administrative Assistant