Office administration programs provide the skills necessary to work at any level from clerical, administrative to supervisory capacity in an organization. Despite the constant advancement in technology, firms will always be in need of qualified and highly trained assistants to work in their offices. Such staff are required to ensure that the daily activities of the office run smoothly.
Those who acquire an office administration degree will find that they have many career opportunities. These degree programs enable them to compete in the job market and can be the starting point to a great career in this field. This page tells you what’s involved in taking administration courses, where you can take them, what your prospects are after completion, and more. You might also like to check the page on secretary training.
Basic administrator training
The students learn how an office works and how it is run. This includes personnel management, administrative tasks, accounting among other skills. There is emphasis on use of office automation and technology. One is thus prepared for office assistant jobs and also provided with the office management training necessary for a managerial role in various office environments. The other emphasis is on document preparation, office procedure and culture, computer applications in business, communication skills and office ethics and etiquette.
The students are thus taught courses and skills to enable them work in office settings, filing, processing business materials and supervising their fellow workers. Such courses and skills may include use of business information systems, keyboarding, business law skills, word processing and business communication skills. Other skills include spreadsheet skills, supervisory skills, database management abilities, information systems skills and Microsoft software skills among others.
Prospects after administration training
This course enables the graduate to choose from a wide range of career fields. Since technology and businesses keep changing, there is great demand for people who can offer the much needed services to such businesses. Every business needs staff to work in the administration department. These graduates can therefore get an office administrator job or similar in the finance industry, insurance industry, manufacturing, sales and publishing among many other fields.
There will always be a high demand for those who have undertaken this course. This due to the fact that new businesses are opened on a daily basis international. Also, businesses keep expanding and merging thus requiring more staff.
The job outlook for these graduates is thus excellent as businesses need office administrators and assistants who are properly and highly trained. This is to ensure proper and smooth work-flow in the office. These graduates are therefore in highest demand in all areas of business and this demand will not stop growing.
The salaries paid to these graduates may vary from one organization to another. However, an office supervisor or office manager salary may be about $45,000 per year. An office administrative assistant could earn about $37,000 annually. They may also be entitled to other benefits including health cover, vacation pay and travel allowances among other benefits.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Office Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Administrative Assistant/Secretary
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science:Office Management
- Medical Office Administration