Accountancy is basically the preparing, analyzing and interpreting of financial data. It is fundamental to the operation of any business, and accountants are in high demand. So a qualification in this field can lead to a very well paid job, and campus and online accounting programs are a popular choice amongst students.
For students who are working it is very often more convenient to complete their accountancy courses online. This page tells you more about accounting, what the courses are, what employers expect, certification, and what you can earn after completion. This page also has details of where it is possible to obtain an online bachelors or a masters in accounting.
What is studied in online accounting programs?
The Associate of Arts (AA) program develops the foundation of knowledge in areas such as: business strategy, financial statements, cost information, economics, management, and ethical issues.
At the Bachelor’s level, core competencies in technology, critical thinking, and communication are emphasized throughout the curriculum, which typically includes: performance analysis, budgeting, managing controls, taxation, and auditing.
The Master of Science in Accounting will help you broaden your knowledge in a variety of accountancy specialties, such as forensic and international accounting. Coursework usually includes accounting theory and research, information systems, managerial accounting, financial reporting, auditing, taxation, not-for-profit and government accountancy, forensic accounting, and ethics. You can also specialize in accountancy in an MBA, in which you will study advanced financial reporting, auditing theory, taxation.
All these levels are available as online programs. Make sure the program you select helps you to meet the “150 Hour Requirement” for the CPA Exam and possibly also meet the requirements for the CMA designation (details below).
The profession of accounting
In the case of ‘Financial Accounting’ reports are mainly produced for external stakeholders such as creditors, investors, and lenders. But in the case of ‘Management Accounting’, reports are generated on a regular basis for the company’s managers and the chief executive officer to enable them to make day-to-day and short-term decisions. But an accountant is also very likely to be involved in the business planning process. Computer skills and the use of software is now an integral part of accounting, and will be included in any campus or online accountancy programs.
Most companies want their accounting employees to be certified by an appropriate body, for which you usually have to pass a series of tests offered by the relevant Institute. In the US, legally practicing accountants are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), and other non-statutory accountants are Certified Internal Auditors (CIAs), Certified Management Accountants (CMAs) and Association of Certified Project Accountants (ACPA) Accredited Business Accountants (ABAs).
In Canada, there are three recognized accounting bodies: the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA), the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA), and the Society of Management Accountants of Canada, also known as the Certified Management Accountants (CMA).
The sort of salary you could expect will depend on any experience you might bring, which US state or Canadian province you work in, the size of the company, and many other variables. In the USA, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries might range from an accountant $44,000 to a financial controller $79,000. In Canada, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries range from an accountant $48,000 to a financial controller $80,000. (PayScale.com)
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Forensic Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Accounting - Bachelor's
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Choose from over 200 career-focused online undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- One of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Accounting
- MS Accounting - Auditing
- MS Accounting - Taxation
- And more...
- Bachelor's and master's level Business programs are available online and on campus.
- Courses are designed to teach practical business solutions, with a career-focused curriculum.
- Students can study in areas such as business, applied management, and business administration.
- Experienced professionals equip students with a working knowledge of marketing, financing, accounting, and sales.
- Students who have graduated high school in or before 2015 are eligible to apply.
- Diploma - Accounting
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Finance (BS) (Online)
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting
- Associate of Arts in Accounting
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Accounting
- And more...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)