Accountancy is basically the preparing, analyzing and interpreting of financial data. It is fundamental to the operation of any business, and accountants are in high demand. So a qualification in this field can lead to a very well paid job, and campus and online accounting programs are a popular choice amongst students.
For students who are working it is very often more convenient to complete their accountancy courses online. This page tells you more about accounting, what the courses are, what employers expect, certification, and what you can earn after completion. This page also has details of where it is possible to obtain an online bachelors or a masters in accounting.
What is studied in online accounting programs?
The Associate of Arts (AA) program develops the foundation of knowledge in areas such as: business strategy, financial statements, cost information, economics, management, and ethical issues.
At the Bachelor’s level, core competencies in technology, critical thinking, and communication are emphasized throughout the curriculum, which typically includes: performance analysis, budgeting, managing controls, taxation, and auditing.
The Master of Science in Accounting will help you broaden your knowledge in a variety of accountancy specialties, such as forensic and international accounting. Coursework usually includes accounting theory and research, information systems, managerial accounting, financial reporting, auditing, taxation, not-for-profit and government accountancy, forensic accounting, and ethics. You can also specialize in accountancy in an MBA, in which you will study advanced financial reporting, auditing theory, taxation.
All these levels are available as online programs. Make sure the program you select helps you to meet the “150 Hour Requirement” for the CPA Exam and possibly also meet the requirements for the CMA designation (details below).
The profession of accounting
In the case of ‘Financial Accounting’ reports are mainly produced for external stakeholders such as creditors, investors, and lenders. But in the case of ‘Management Accounting’, reports are generated on a regular basis for the company’s managers and the chief executive officer to enable them to make day-to-day and short-term decisions. But an accountant is also very likely to be involved in the business planning process. Computer skills and the use of software is now an integral part of accounting, and will be included in any campus or online accountancy programs.
Most companies want their accounting employees to be certified by an appropriate body, for which you usually have to pass a series of tests offered by the relevant Institute. In the US, legally practicing accountants are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), and other non-statutory accountants are Certified Internal Auditors (CIAs), Certified Management Accountants (CMAs) and Association of Certified Project Accountants (ACPA) Accredited Business Accountants (ABAs).
In Canada, there are three recognized accounting bodies: the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA), the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA), and the Society of Management Accountants of Canada, also known as the Certified Management Accountants (CMA).
The sort of salary you could expect will depend on any experience you might bring, which US state or Canadian province you work in, the size of the company, and many other variables. In the USA, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries might range from an accountant $44,000 to a financial controller $79,000. In Canada, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries range from an accountant $48,000 to a financial controller $80,000. (PayScale.com)
List of schools and programs
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Accounting - Bachelor's
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Forensic Accounting
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Finance (BS) (Online)
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Accounting (Associate's)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
- MS Accounting - Auditing
- MS Accounting - Taxation
- MS Accounting/Finance
- And more...
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting