Accountancy is basically the preparing, analyzing and interpreting of financial data. It is fundamental to the operation of any business, and accountants are in high demand. So a qualification in this field can lead to a very well paid job, and campus and online accounting programs are a popular choice amongst students.
For students who are working it is very often more convenient to complete their accountancy courses online. This page tells you more about accounting, what the courses are, what employers expect, certification, and what you can earn after completion. This page also has details of where it is possible to obtain an online bachelors or a masters in accounting.
What is studied in online accounting programs?
The Associate of Arts (AA) program develops the foundation of knowledge in areas such as: business strategy, financial statements, cost information, economics, management, and ethical issues.
At the Bachelor’s level, core competencies in technology, critical thinking, and communication are emphasized throughout the curriculum, which typically includes: performance analysis, budgeting, managing controls, taxation, and auditing.
The Master of Science in Accounting will help you broaden your knowledge in a variety of accountancy specialties, such as forensic and international accounting. Coursework usually includes accounting theory and research, information systems, managerial accounting, financial reporting, auditing, taxation, not-for-profit and government accountancy, forensic accounting, and ethics. You can also specialize in accountancy in an MBA, in which you will study advanced financial reporting, auditing theory, taxation.
All these levels are available as online programs. Make sure the program you select helps you to meet the “150 Hour Requirement” for the CPA Exam and possibly also meet the requirements for the CMA designation (details below).
The profession of accounting
In the case of ‘Financial Accounting’ reports are mainly produced for external stakeholders such as creditors, investors, and lenders. But in the case of ‘Management Accounting’, reports are generated on a regular basis for the company’s managers and the chief executive officer to enable them to make day-to-day and short-term decisions. But an accountant is also very likely to be involved in the business planning process. Computer skills and the use of software is now an integral part of accounting, and will be included in any campus or online accountancy programs.
Most companies want their accounting employees to be certified by an appropriate body, for which you usually have to pass a series of tests offered by the relevant Institute. In the US, legally practicing accountants are Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), and other non-statutory accountants are Certified Internal Auditors (CIAs), Certified Management Accountants (CMAs) and Association of Certified Project Accountants (ACPA) Accredited Business Accountants (ABAs).
In Canada, there are three recognized accounting bodies: the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA), the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA), and the Society of Management Accountants of Canada, also known as the Certified Management Accountants (CMA).
The sort of salary you could expect will depend on any experience you might bring, which US state or Canadian province you work in, the size of the company, and many other variables. In the USA, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries might range from an accountant $44,000 to a financial controller $79,000. In Canada, with a Bachelor’s degree approximate salaries range from an accountant $48,000 to a financial controller $80,000. (PayScale.com)
List of schools and programs
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Accounting - Bachelor
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Master's(MBA) - Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- BS in Accounting - Public Accountancy
- MS in Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- CERT: Accounting
- AA in Accounting
- MS in Accounting
- And more...