What is early childhood education? It is usually taken to be the education of children from birth to age 8. Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in teaching and administration related to this age group. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study these programs, as well as details on jobs, potential earnings, prospects and more… You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the early childhood area, including an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education, a B.S. in Early Childhood or an MS in Early Childhood Education. To be able to teach children effectively in a formal education setting, you need to take a program which includes online early childhood education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, child psychology, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
An Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education helps toward qualifying for early childhood education work in daycare and preschools.
Graduates with a Bachelors degree in early childhood education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary and pre-school learning environments.
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, a masters degree early childhood education or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it. This is a good time to take an early childhood education degree online.
List of schools and programs
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- And more...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- MS - Teaching and Learning
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology