What is early childhood education? It is usually taken to be the education of children from birth to age 8. Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in teaching and administration related to this age group. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study these programs, as well as details on jobs, potential earnings, prospects and more… You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the early childhood area, including an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education, a B.S. in Early Childhood or an MS in Early Childhood Education. To be able to teach children effectively in a formal education setting, you need to take a program which includes online early childhood education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, child psychology, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
An Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education helps toward qualifying for early childhood education work in daycare and preschools.
Graduates with a Bachelors degree in early childhood education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary and pre-school learning environments.
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, a masters degree early childhood education or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it. This is a good time to take an early childhood education degree online.
List of schools and programs
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Child Studies
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that fits your professional goals
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits toward your degree
- Accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- AA/Early Childhood Education
- MA/Education - Child Development
- MA/Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
Berks Technical Institute (BTI) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Early Childhood Education - Associate in Specialized Business
- Early Childhood Education - JEE.13
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- BS in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Child Development
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- And more...
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Dual Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- And more...