What is early childhood education? It is usually taken to be the education of children from birth to age 8. Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in teaching and administration related to this age group. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study these programs, as well as details on jobs, potential earnings, prospects and more… You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What do the degrees cover?
There are various ways and levels in which you can approach qualifying in the early childhood area, including an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education, a B.S. in Early Childhood or an MS in Early Childhood Education. To be able to teach children effectively in a formal education setting, you need to take a program which includes online early childhood education courses in curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, child psychology, and educational psychology.
What are the career prospects?
Education is one of the largest industries and early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
An Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education helps toward qualifying for early childhood education work in daycare and preschools.
Graduates with a Bachelors degree in early childhood education find careers as teachers or administrators in elementary and pre-school learning environments.
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, a masters degree early childhood education or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it. This is a good time to take an early childhood education degree online.
List of schools and programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Ed.S. in Early Childhood - General Program
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certification Only) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
- Instructional Design & Technology