What is gerontology and is it the same as geriatrics? Gerontology is the study of the aging process and the changes in people as they age. It also includes the investigation of the effects of our aging population on society, and the application of this knowledge to policies and programs. Geriatrics, on the other hand, is the study of health and disease in later life.
As a result of the multidisciplinary focus of gerontology, it is possible to study it from other fields, e.g., psychology, sociology (social gerontology), social work (gerontological social work), medicine (biomedical gerontology), nursing (gerontology nursing). Or it is possible to take a degree in gerontology, usually as a masters degree but also as a major in a bachelors degree, as a certificate or as a PhD. This page has details of the programs, the schools where they can be taken, the prospects after completion, and more …
What is studied in an online gerontology degree?
A gerontology degree provides graduates with the skills and knowledge to assist aging clients with their social, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual needs. It also provide the resource management skills required to manage long-term care facilities.
As already noted, gerontology is a broad field of studies, drawing on many disciplines. Thus, a gerontology program may include psychology (especially dealing with death), anatomy and physiology, sociology, counseling, and health care management. Some states require professionals to attain licensure or certification, and the requirements vary from state to state.
To succeed in a career in gerontology, in addition to the knowledge you acquire in your gerontology courses, you also need: excellent communication skills; an interest in working with older adults; and, sensitivity, patience, empathy, and compassion.
Online programs in gerontology can be taken at all levels from Associate to Doctoral level:
At Associate level, students receive training through specific courses in gerontology and skill training experiences. Credits earned in these programs can usually be used toward a four-year degree.
At Bachelor’s level, in addition to the course listed above, gerontology classes may also include government health policies, medical funding, filing insurance claims. business management, policy, and policy planning and management. Field experience is often a required component.
At Master’s level, the curriculum covers such topics as the biological, epidemiological, psychological, and social changes caused by the aging process; cultural and social attitudes toward the aging; care and services that promote productive aging; multigenerational relationships; and the impact of an aging demographic on public policy.
At Doctoral level – Some universities offer doctoral level specializations in aging within other academic and clinical departments. A few universities offer a Ph.D. in gerontology.
Continuing education programs are available for those preparing for a new career working with aged people, for people already working who want additional knowledge, or for individuals seeking to enrich their lives. In some professions, such as social work, counseling, and nursing, continuing education is required to maintain a license or certificate.
What careers are there for gerontology graduates?
Gerontology graduates can be found in various settings, including: hospitals, health care facilities, social service agencies, residential facilities, government agencies, aging research laboratories, and community agencies. The actual gerontology jobs you qualify for depends on experience and the level of the academic qualification you have.
Associate level – an Associate degree in gerontology enables you to seek entry-level jobs or advancement in your current employment.
Bachelor’s level – a bachelor’s in gerontology qualifies you for entry-level or mid-level jobs as a gereontology practitioner and planner in local and state agencies. With a gerontology online degree, you can also work in areas such as public policy, social sciences, and social work.
Master’s level – a masters in gerontology prepares you to become a skilled administrator, planner, and practitioner in gerontology.
Doctoral level – a PhD gerontology prepares you for a career in gerontological research, teaching, administration, or clinical practice.
Expected Salary and Projected Career Growth
The United States of Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that in view of the aging population, opportunities in social and human services for gerontologists will continue to grow. The income level with a gerontology online degree varies depending on whether one is a paraprofessional – aide or assistant – to whether one is a nurse, doctor, or health care administrator. The range is $29,000 to $56,000 a year.
List of schools and programs
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Adult Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- MS in Human Services
- And more...
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!