What is gerontology and is it the same as geriatrics? Gerontology is the study of the aging process and the changes in people as they age. It also includes the investigation of the effects of our aging population on society, and the application of this knowledge to policies and programs. Geriatrics, on the other hand, is the study of health and disease in later life.
As a result of the multidisciplinary focus of gerontology, it is possible to study it from other fields, e.g., psychology, sociology (social gerontology), social work (gerontological social work), medicine (biomedical gerontology), nursing (gerontology nursing). Or it is possible to take a degree in gerontology, usually as a masters degree but also as a major in a bachelors degree, as a certificate or as a PhD. This page has details of the programs, the schools where they can be taken, the prospects after completion, and more …
What is studied in an online gerontology degree?
A gerontology degree provides graduates with the skills and knowledge to assist aging clients with their social, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual needs. It also provide the resource management skills required to manage long-term care facilities.
As already noted, gerontology is a broad field of studies, drawing on many disciplines. Thus, a gerontology program may include psychology (especially dealing with death), anatomy and physiology, sociology, counseling, and health care management. Some states require professionals to attain licensure or certification, and the requirements vary from state to state.
To succeed in a career in gerontology, in addition to the knowledge you acquire in your gerontology courses, you also need: excellent communication skills; an interest in working with older adults; and, sensitivity, patience, empathy, and compassion.
Online programs in gerontology can be taken at all levels from Associate to Doctoral level:
At Associate level, students receive training through specific courses in gerontology and skill training experiences. Credits earned in these programs can usually be used toward a four-year degree.
At Bachelor’s level, in addition to the course listed above, gerontology classes may also include government health policies, medical funding, filing insurance claims. business management, policy, and policy planning and management. Field experience is often a required component.
At Master’s level, the curriculum covers such topics as the biological, epidemiological, psychological, and social changes caused by the aging process; cultural and social attitudes toward the aging; care and services that promote productive aging; multigenerational relationships; and the impact of an aging demographic on public policy.
At Doctoral level – Some universities offer doctoral level specializations in aging within other academic and clinical departments. A few universities offer a Ph.D. in gerontology.
Continuing education programs are available for those preparing for a new career working with aged people, for people already working who want additional knowledge, or for individuals seeking to enrich their lives. In some professions, such as social work, counseling, and nursing, continuing education is required to maintain a license or certificate.
What careers are there for gerontology graduates?
Gerontology graduates can be found in various settings, including: hospitals, health care facilities, social service agencies, residential facilities, government agencies, aging research laboratories, and community agencies. The actual gerontology jobs you qualify for depends on experience and the level of the academic qualification you have.
Associate level – an Associate degree in gerontology enables you to seek entry-level jobs or advancement in your current employment.
Bachelor’s level – a bachelor’s in gerontology qualifies you for entry-level or mid-level jobs as a gereontology practitioner and planner in local and state agencies. With a gerontology online degree, you can also work in areas such as public policy, social sciences, and social work.
Master’s level – a masters in gerontology prepares you to become a skilled administrator, planner, and practitioner in gerontology.
Doctoral level – a PhD gerontology prepares you for a career in gerontological research, teaching, administration, or clinical practice.
Expected Salary and Projected Career Growth
The United States of Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that in view of the aging population, opportunities in social and human services for gerontologists will continue to grow. The income level with a gerontology online degree varies depending on whether one is a paraprofessional – aide or assistant – to whether one is a nurse, doctor, or health care administrator. The range is $29,000 to $56,000 a year.
List of schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Adult Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- MS in Human Services
- And more...
- Available programs include a B.A. in Psychology and an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health & Counseling.
- Courses allow students to explore general psychology and behavioral health, as well as several experimental & research concentrations.
- Psychology programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month