Why does a nurse who is already registered as an RN need to take a Bachelor’s degree, and do special upgrade programs exist online? People often enter the Nursing profession by completing an Associate degree program and then passing a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Being a Registered Nurse (RN) is very important, but advancement opportunities are usually better for graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or even a Master’s degree (MSN). A Bachelor’s degree is usually necessary for administrative positions and is a prerequisite for admission to graduate nursing programs in research, teaching, or a clinical specialization. So many RNs with an Associate degree wish to take Bachelor’s programs to prepare for these opportunities.
There are many degree programs specifically for Registered Nurses who have Associate degrees and now wish to complete their BSN degrees. These programs are called “RN to BSN” programs. This page is about online RN to BSN programs, what’s included in them, and where they can be studied?
What is studied in an online RN to BSN program?
The objective of an RN-to-BSN program is to develop the professional knowledge and skills of working registered nurses, and for them to apply these to nursing, client, and health care systems. Nurses also learn to integrate methods of research and scholarship in their work.
The curriculum of a program typically comprises a foundation of biological, physical, and social sciences, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies. Students in these programs are sometimes required to complete practicums.
Career prospects for BSN graduates
Technological advances in patient care and the aging population of the country will drive growth in the health care sector. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses is expected to grow significantly from 2012 to 2022. This is a good time to choose nursing as a career.
BSN graduates are encouraged to consider a Master’s program as their next step. Some schools/colleges offer online RN to MSN programs – a quicker way to get your Master’s degree in Nursing.
List of schools and programs
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Education
- RN to MS - Nurse Executive
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Advanced Practice Nurse
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Nursing Leadership
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- And more...