Why does a nurse who is already registered as an RN need to take a Bachelor’s degree, and do special upgrade programs exist online? People often enter the Nursing profession by completing an Associate degree program and then passing a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Being a Registered Nurse (RN) is very important, but advancement opportunities are usually better for graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or even a Master’s degree (MSN). A Bachelor’s degree is usually necessary for administrative positions and is a prerequisite for admission to graduate nursing programs in research, teaching, or a clinical specialization. So many RNs with an Associate degree wish to take Bachelor’s programs to prepare for these opportunities.
There are many degree programs specifically for Registered Nurses who have Associate degrees and now wish to complete their BSN degrees. These programs are called “RN to BSN” programs. This page is about online RN to BSN programs, what’s included in them, and where they can be studied?
What is studied in an online RN to BSN program?
The objective of an RN-to-BSN program is to develop the professional knowledge and skills of working registered nurses, and for them to apply these to nursing, client, and health care systems. Nurses also learn to integrate methods of research and scholarship in their work.
The curriculum of a program typically comprises a foundation of biological, physical, and social sciences, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies. Students in these programs are sometimes required to complete practicums.
Career prospects for BSN graduates
Technological advances in patient care and the aging population of the country will drive growth in the health care sector. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses is expected to grow significantly from 2012 to 2022. This is a good time to choose nursing as a career.
BSN graduates are encouraged to consider a Master’s program as their next step. Some schools/colleges offer online RN to MSN programs – a quicker way to get your Master’s degree in Nursing.
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner Specialization (RN-MSN)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...