Why does a nurse who is already registered as an RN need to take a Bachelor’s degree, and do special upgrade programs exist online? People often enter the Nursing profession by completing an Associate degree program and then passing a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Being a Registered Nurse (RN) is very important, but advancement opportunities are usually better for graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or even a Master’s degree (MSN). A Bachelor’s degree is usually necessary for administrative positions and is a prerequisite for admission to graduate nursing programs in research, teaching, or a clinical specialization. So many RNs with an Associate degree wish to take Bachelor’s programs to prepare for these opportunities.
There are many degree programs specifically for Registered Nurses who have Associate degrees and now wish to complete their BSN degrees. These programs are called “RN to BSN” programs. This page is about online RN to BSN programs, what’s included in them, and where they can be studied?
What is studied in an online RN to BSN program?
The objective of an RN-to-BSN program is to develop the professional knowledge and skills of working registered nurses, and for them to apply these to nursing, client, and health care systems. Nurses also learn to integrate methods of research and scholarship in their work.
The curriculum of a program typically comprises a foundation of biological, physical, and social sciences, together with more specialized courses in health promotion, risk reduction, disease prevention, information technology, ethics, human diversity, management theory, and health care system and policies. Students in these programs are sometimes required to complete practicums.
Career prospects for BSN graduates
Technological advances in patient care and the aging population of the country will drive growth in the health care sector. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that employment of registered nurses is expected to grow significantly from 2012 to 2022. This is a good time to choose nursing as a career.
BSN graduates are encouraged to consider a Master’s program as their next step. Some schools/colleges offer online RN to MSN programs – a quicker way to get your Master’s degree in Nursing.
List of schools and programs
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner Specialization (RN-MSN)
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- RN to BSN (Online)
- RN to MSN (Online)