The social sciences explore human aspects of the world. Because the research methods used the social sciences are often qualitative and based more on personal interpretation, they are sometimes referred to as the “soft sciences” in contrast to the “hard” natural and formal sciences. The social sciences include anthropology, communication studies, economics, education, geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, psychology and sociology. In some faculties of social science, the more applied fields of study such as business studies, development studies, information science, international relations, journalism, knowledge management, public administration, public policy and tourism studies are included.
There is often dispute about whether or not some of the subjects belong in the sciences, social sciences or the humanities. Their placement in one or another section of this website, does not imply any particular philosophical position on this issue. From this page you can find out more about some of the social sciences and find links to schools offering online social sciences programs.
Anthropology focuses on understanding cultural and behavioral diversity. Social sciences programs in anthropology cover the influences of geography, immigration, forensics, organizations, ecology, politics, economy, religions, evolution, and many other subjects affecting modern day cultures.
Most business degrees include: communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills, fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management. It is the most popular choice of the social sciences by students and so it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
A communications degree will prepare you for many career opportunities in several sectors of communication. It may include negotiations training, dispute and conflict resolution, and multicultural diversity.
Degrees in economics are designed to help students develop business skills in areas such as finance, accounting, and marketing by examining domestic and the international marketplaces. The field focuses primarily on labor, land, raw materials, and machinery.
Education programs combine content and subject knowledge with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy), i.e., they teach you what to teach and how to teach it. Because it is such a popular field of study, it has a separate link in the navigation bar.
A geography degree involves the study of human beings and the way in which they interact with their environment through physical and cultural relationships. It leads to many career paths, including cartography, GIS, geological survey, climatologist, soil conservationist and wildlife preservation.
A history degree examines historical eras and periods based on geography and chronology. As a history student you will be equipped with various skills that include research, analysis, and presentation skills. You will also have a good foundation for understanding the economic, social, economic, and business elements of society.
International relations is the part of political science that focuses on the economic, political, and social relationships between countries, especially the interplay between different governments, economic systems, labor relations, and multinational corporations. Careers can lead to conflict resolution and diplomacy.
Journalism is defined as the timely reporting of events at various levels, i.e. local, national, and international. Reporting is based on collecting objective information through interviewing, research and observations, resulting in fair and balanced stories for publication on the Internet, television, or radio.
A knowledge management program helps graduates understand how to analyze the information and disseminate it to the proper channel in order to effect change. With technology being a key element of knowledge management, one can expect to cover topics in database and media management.
Political science is the study of world political systems, local and global politics, political theory, human rights, international relations, and related subjects. Political scientists use various tools to analyze the structure and operations of political entities and governments.
In a pschology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods and learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests. Because it is so popular, it is listed separately in the navigation bar.
There are many different paths with an online public administration masters degree, both in the public and private sector. Public administrators manage many aspect of public service at the federal, state and local levels. You can focus on a career in organizational governance, finance, and administration. You can also work in health care and animal welfare, education, non-profit organizations, and international relief agencies.
Public policy is the basic policy or set of policies which form the foundation of public laws. The field involves the study of policy problems and government responses to these issues. A degree in public policy is designed to develop your analytical skills, understand of macroeconomic and micro-economic theory, and sociocultural issues that influence policy making.
Sociology is a science that tries to understand social action and to explain its cause and effect. The study of sociology enables us to understand the structure and dynamics of society including class, religion, sex, age, or race and other social classifications.
Travel and Tourism
Travel and tourism are fairly recent additions to the online social sciences. There are many areas of study in an online tourism degree program that you can specialize in, including: For example hospitality management, aromatherapy and spa, tourism, and travel. Courses in a program might include business management, information technology, finance, accounting, and interpersonal communications.
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- And more...
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Arts in English - Self-Designed
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Choose from over 200 career-focused online undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- One of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Political Science
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Psychology
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Available programs include a B.A. in Psychology and an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health & Counseling.
- Courses allow students to explore general psychology and behavioral health, as well as several experimental & research concentrations.
- Psychology programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Psychology (BA)
- Earn your Bachelor of Arts in Psychology - 100% online
- South University brings over 115 years of tradition and achievement to a supportive online classroom
- Topics covered include psychological disorders, personality development, social perception, and more
- Concentrations include Behavioral Health, General Psychology, and Experimental/Research
- Psychology (BA)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017