Both campus-based and online teacher certification programs are excellent ways to qualify for a teaching career. Some people like to study with others in a classroom setting, whilst others find online learning more convenient for their lifestyle. Many programs are available, ranging from those that prepare you to teach at pre-school to those that specialize in tertiary teaching, and they’re available from bachelor’s to doctor’s levels. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found. In particular, it has useful details of how and where to find online teacher training programs.
Programs for the certification of teachers
In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed teacher certification programs, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take a one-year teacher training program to satisfy licensing requirements. If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training.
The teaching certification programs and other programs described in the list below include ones for different stages in the education system (e.g., early childhood certification or elementary certification) as well different specializations (e.g., online ESL certification or special ed certification).
What is studied in teacher certification programs?
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a one-year certification program. Teacher training certification programs provide an introduction to classroom teaching methods, including supervised practice in a classroom setting. These programs are available online, but you are required to have access to a school class in order to undertake supervised teaching practice.
If you don’t have a degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training. These teacher’s certificate programs typically include: educational psychology, child development and learning, instructional methods, curriculum design and development, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, and educational technology. You also need to have supervised practice in a classroom. This ensures that teaching is the appropriate career for you.
Advanced teacher education courses – such as found in the M.Ed. Elementary Ed – focus on topics such as pedagogy, curriculum design, school administration, and leadership. A masters degree will usually include a substantial research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- An undergraduate degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates of teacher certification programs are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. Salaries also increase with experience and a teacher certification masters degree. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Education - College Teaching
- MS in Higher Education - Online College Teaching
- And more...
- Ranked one of the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2014 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Offers a no-obligation, 3-week trial period where students may determine if the university is right for them before they commit to it.
- Strives to be a student’s partner in lifelong learning; committed to helping them achieve their goals.
- Serves students of all ages, from first-graders learning to read to professionals seeking postgraduate training.
- Provides career-oriented diploma through master’s programs in fields such as healthcare, business, legal and paralegal services, information technology, criminal justice and design.
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- Instructional Design & Technology