Both campus-based and online teacher certification programs are excellent ways to qualify for a teaching career. Some people like to study with others in a classroom setting, whilst others find online learning more convenient for their lifestyle. Many programs are available, ranging from those that prepare you to teach at pre-school to those that specialize in tertiary teaching, and they’re available from bachelor’s to doctor’s levels. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found. In particular, it has useful details of how and where to find online teacher training programs.
Programs for the certification of teachers
In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed teacher certification programs, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take a one-year teacher training program to satisfy licensing requirements. If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training.
The teaching certification programs and other programs described in the list below include ones for different stages in the education system (e.g., early childhood certification or elementary certification) as well different specializations (e.g., online ESL certification or special ed certification).
What is studied in teacher certification programs?
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a one-year certification program. Teacher training certification programs provide an introduction to classroom teaching methods, including supervised practice in a classroom setting. These programs are available online, but you are required to have access to a school class in order to undertake supervised teaching practice.
If you don’t have a degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training. These teacher’s certificate programs typically include: educational psychology, child development and learning, instructional methods, curriculum design and development, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, and educational technology. You also need to have supervised practice in a classroom. This ensures that teaching is the appropriate career for you.
Advanced teacher education courses – such as found in the M.Ed. Elementary Ed – focus on topics such as pedagogy, curriculum design, school administration, and leadership. A masters degree will usually include a substantial research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- An undergraduate degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates of teacher certification programs are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. Salaries also increase with experience and a teacher certification masters degree. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- M.S. in TESOL
- M.S. in Elementary Education
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning (Online Only)
- Education, MS (Online Only)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed: Teaching & Learning Student Services
- And more...
- Associate of Science in Teaching
- Bachelor of Science - Elementary Education (K-6)
- Master of Education in Elementary Education (K-6) Initital Licensure
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Certification Only)
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- MA in Teaching: Advanced Studies in Secondary Education- National Board Preparation
- Advanced Early Childhood
- Basic Early Childhood
Belhaven University, founded in 1883, is a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university. At the university’s main campus in Jackson, Miss., students from around the world converge to study in various programs all taught from a Christian perspective. Belhaven University is located in a historic, beautiful residential setting in the heart of capital city of Jackson, and is a place where top-rated faculty and a nurturing environment converge to bring you to your best.
- Master of Education - National Board Emphasis
- Master of Education - Teacher as Leader/Elementary or Secondary
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Education in Career Switcher w/Licensure
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction - Adult Education
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*