Both campus-based and online teacher certification programs are excellent ways to qualify for a teaching career. Some people like to study with others in a classroom setting, whilst others find online learning more convenient for their lifestyle. Many programs are available, ranging from those that prepare you to teach at pre-school to those that specialize in tertiary teaching, and they’re available from bachelor’s to doctor’s levels. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found. In particular, it has useful details of how and where to find online teacher training programs.
Programs for the certification of teachers
In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed teacher certification programs, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take a one-year teacher training program to satisfy licensing requirements. If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training.
The teaching certification programs and other programs described in the list below include ones for different stages in the education system (e.g., early childhood certification or elementary certification) as well different specializations (e.g., online ESL certification or special ed certification).
What is studied in teacher certification programs?
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a one-year certification program. Teacher training certification programs provide an introduction to classroom teaching methods, including supervised practice in a classroom setting. These programs are available online, but you are required to have access to a school class in order to undertake supervised teaching practice.
If you don’t have a degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training. These teacher’s certificate programs typically include: educational psychology, child development and learning, instructional methods, curriculum design and development, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, and educational technology. You also need to have supervised practice in a classroom. This ensures that teaching is the appropriate career for you.
Advanced teacher education courses – such as found in the M.Ed. Elementary Ed – focus on topics such as pedagogy, curriculum design, school administration, and leadership. A masters degree will usually include a substantial research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- An undergraduate degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates of teacher certification programs are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. Salaries also increase with experience and a teacher certification masters degree. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning (Online Only)
- Education, MS (Online Only)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed: Teaching & Learning Student Services
- And more...
- AS Teaching
- BS Elementary Education
- MEd Elementary Education (K-6) Initial Licensure
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- M.S.Ed - Professional Development (Grades PreK-12)
- M.S. in Education
- M.S. in Education - Mathematics and Science (Grades K-8)
- And more...
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
Arkansas College of Barbering and Hair Design (ACB) was incorporated under the laws of the state of Arkansas in May 1974. The school was previously located at 401 Main Street in North Little Rock, AR. In1984, the school was relocated to its current location at 200 East Washington Ave and has been incontinuous operation since that time. ACB opened with seven (7) students and sixteen (16) chairs andcurrently have forty-two (42) multi-purpose chairs and an average of sixty-five (65) students. Our purpose is to provide quality training in barbering and hairstyling to the residents of this and other states.
- Teacher, Manager, Instructor (TMI)
- Teacher Course
- Advanced Early Childhood
- Basic Early Childhood