Campus and Online Programs in TESOL

pasports and globePrograms in TESOL provide you with the skills to teach English to speakers of other languages. This page tells you more about studying the teaching of English as a second or a foreign language, what's involved, and what the prospects are after graduation. 

With this training you are well-equipped to travel and experience other cultures, whilst having a rewarding teaching career.  You may not get the biggest salary, but you certainly can get an exciting lifestyle, and learn a lot about the world.

This page will help you find out about where you can study TESOL online certificates as well as TESOL masters programs online.


Why study programs in TESOL?

"TESOL" stands for "Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages". As the name suggests, it is a specialized branch of education.

Various other phrases have been used to describe the same activity, including most prominently: TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language; and, TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language, sometimes also abbreviated ESL). In practice, there is little difference between ESL, TESL, TEFL and TESOL courses.

So why take programs such as these?  You don't take TESOL or TESL to become rich, that's for sure. But you do get to travel to some interesting places. So if travel and experiencing new cultures are things you like or think you'd like, then a TESOL certificate is the qualification for you. If you want to make a career of TESOL, then you may wish to consider taking a TESOL masters program.


Where can you study TESOL and TESL?

There are several universities that offer programs in TESL and TESOL by distance and online education. Listed below are a few selected schools and programs, and you can also browse more schools and programs at the foot of the page

  • Jones International University
    • MEd in K-12 English as a Second Language Education
    • MEd in K-12 English as a Second Language Education: Teacher Licensure
    • MEd in K-12 English as a Second Language Specialist: Bilingual Education
    • MEd in K-12 ESL Specialist: Bilingual Education Teacher Licensure


For more schools and programs

Browse the schools below to find a suitable school and program. Request information from several schools and compare the admission requirements and course content before you choose a program.

Follow adamatodl on Twitter

Follow Me

rebelmouse follow button

Follow Me on Pinterest

About the Author

View complete profile