What is psychology? “Psycho” means “the human mind” and “logy” means “the theory of”, so “psychology” is the theory of the human mind. And so the importance of psychology is that it can give us some idea of why we behave in a particular way and in this way enable us to help people function more effectively.
Psychology is sometimes classed as a science and sometimes as a social science – in fact there has been a philosophical debate about this for many years. In the end, it really depends on the exact nature of the program, the specializations offered and the department within which it is offered. Some of the specializations available include: clinical psychology, counseling psychology, educational psychology, and health psychology. This section will help you to find out more about psychology study and to locate suitable degree programs.
Many students who are are unable to attend on campus classes take psychology programs online rather than on-campus. This page is particularly for those students. However, if you wish to explore schools where campus-based psychology programs are available, you can go to the campus universities page for more details.
What do you study in a psychology program?
Psychologists study the human mind and human behavior. In a general psychology program you learn about physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of human behavior. You are introduced to a variety of research methods including controlled laboratory experiments, observation, interviews, questionnaires, clinical studies, and surveys. You also learn how to administer personality, performance, aptitude, or intelligence tests.
Psychologists are required in a variety of settings, including health and human services, business, education, law, and sports. They usually specialize in one of a number of different areas. So in addition to studying an online psychology degree program, you would be given an introduction to applied psychology in your choice of many different specialties. Psychology study online is possible at the associate, bachelor, master and doctoral levels.
A typical bachelor’s degree program may include: Introduction to Psychology; Statistics; Conditioned Learning; Physiological Psychology; Abnormal Psychology; Perception; Motivation, Health Psychology; Psychology of Stress; and, Human Communication.
Psychology masters programs may include the following: Biology; Contemporary Issues in Psychology; History and Systems of Psychology; Statistics; Research Design; The Cognitive Approach; Clinical Psychology; Tests and Measurement; Social Psychology; The Developmental Approach; and, Culture and Psychology. A thesis may be required in addition to or in place of some of the courses.
Make sure the program you take is accredited by an appropriate accrediting body, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
What are the prospects for psychology graduates?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
Salaries are high among the more popular specializations, especially for those with masters or doctors degrees. In the US, with an appropriate PhD psychology degree, forensic psychologists average around US$79,000, clinical psychologists over US$76,000 and school psychologists around US$55,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Counseling Psychology(EdD) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA) (Online)
- And more...
- Drug & Alcohol Treatment Specialist
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Psychology (BA)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Psychology
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addictions
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional School Counseling (PSC)
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- BS in Psychology
- AA in Psychology
- And more...