Becoming a real estate agent may seem easy, but it is actually a profession which needs legal and financial knowledge combined with an extensive network of well-established contacts and good relationships maintained for years. All these are the real assets of running a successful real estate company when you are intending to do it on a large scale in order to obtain substantial financial returns. There are also small and micro level real estate agencies that deal with small level business and benefit out of the transactions, which pay them a percentage of commissions. These too require knowledge, good contacts and good relationships. At whatever level you are operating, real estate management training is required. This page has information on the programs, the career prospects, and will help you find a suitable real estate school and program. You may also wish to consider some of the short courses available.
What do you need to know for real estate management?
As an entry level aspirant, to pursue a career in this field you need to have a degree such as a bachelors degree in real estate management, and this would qualify you for some good jobs in the industry. If you have a degree with a different specialization, it may be worth taking a post graduate diploma in real estate management. You can then progress by taking one of the online real estate masters programs whilst employed.
A masters in business administration with a specialization in real estate management would get you good placements in some of the biggest conglomerates in the field. As a management trainee, as soon as you are recruited you will be encouraged to develop your interactive skills as well as your communications skills by developing working relationships with a number of clientele. The only way to do this effectively is to be completely updated on all the legal and technical proceedings related to your particular area of responsibility. The client will gain confidence when you talk about the technical issues behind a property transaction. All advantages, hurdles and disruptions that exist in the technicalities of buying or selling a property, when explained to the client in a clear fashion, will help you to sell your competence and make the transaction a success.
Some of the essential topics covered in a real estate management program would include: human resource management. communications, relationship management, business development, legal and ethical issues, property management, marketing, leasing, maintenance, asset management, risk management, and financial management.
Real estate management at this tertiary level needs active participation in society affairs to keep abreast of day to day changes far and wide related to the business. Communication and change are very fast in this field in particular, so you should keep your ears and eyes wide open so as not miss any information pertaining to your business.
Knowledge about the rules and regulation of the local municipality and governmental rules and regulations pertaining to your business transactions is very vital for real estate management. Additionally when you keep a good relationship with those officials of the registration office as you intend to visit the place too often, it is a great asset. Maintaining rapport at these important destinations makes you to close deals effectively without beating about the bush. These are some of the reliable and trustworthy sources for anybody in the locality, on whose words the parties will rely upon. When they do talk in favor of you and tell about your record of accomplishment and genuineness for years together the customer will not hesitate any longer. In this trade it is the early bird that catches the prey. There are no standard working hours for you. You might have to travel a lot even at odd times to close deals immediately if the situation demands.
In the US, in order to work in this sector you are required to have a licence, for which your need to complete a written real estate licence exam. There are other requirements but these depend upon the state in which you reside.
What are the prospects for graduates?
There would be many positions that would be open to you as a real estate management graduate. The property market has huge potential now, even though it was severely affected during the recession. Brokers and agents will experience a ten per cent growth in opportunities during the coming decade (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). Your starting salary could be anywhere between $12,000 to $24,000 in a month to begin with. Do not mind the initial salary. You are being paid for learning. Learn the trade. Just within five to ten year with the network of clientele and contacts that will be in your diary will give you the salary you want.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BSFIN - Real Estate
- BS in Business Administration - Real Estate
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Business Administration - Associate of Occupational Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
- BS Business Studies in Organizational Leadership
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor of Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Diploma - Business