A small business management course gives you the basics to set up and manage a small business. It will enable you to secure the stability of a business venture despite the fluctuating economy. This training can also provide you with the necessary skills and abilities to apply for management positions in other companies. Positions that are sometimes available could include, retail manager, marketing manager, public relations manager and logistics manager.
As the economic environment is very dynamic you will need to be constantly updating your knowledge and abilities to stay on top. So constant professional development through short and longer courses is required. Taking a small business course will assist employees to be promoted quicker and could also gain the respect of the company easier. This page provides information about where you can find such programs, what’s involved and what the prospects are.
What do I study in a small business management course?
Starting a small business is a complex task that requires knowledge and skills in many areas. These can be acquired through a small business management program.
The typical modules that you will take can include, logistics management, marketing and communications management, accounting and statistics. Marketing and communications management will teach you the fundamental principles of selling products and services, managing teams and departments and communicating effectively throughout the organization.
Accounting will assist you in budget allocation and cost reduction within an organization. Statistics will help you to work out probabilities on sales, customer retention and other important company objectives. Project management will teach you to develop methods to manage you time properly. It will also assist you meeting deadlines on time with little deviation from the allocated budget.
By combining all of these modules together could allow you to get a greater understanding of the economic spectrum as a whole. It will also give you the tools that you require to do thorough work for the business. This could allow you to personally grow and expand the company at the same time.
By obtaining certificates, diplomas and degrees in these modules could allow you to apply for middle to top management positions within a company. In these courses you will find that they could also offer you practical experience in businesses. This can be done through an internship program that will allow you to work for a business for a period of time. This will help you to learn all the internal working in a real business setting. This will then also give you the experience you could need for job applications.
What are the prospects for graduates?
With a degree or diploma in small business management, you are clearly well prepared to start and/or run your own small business. You are also well qualified to run a small business belonging to someone else, or to work in a larger company. You might not be able to start at the top but it can be a good head start for people when looking for employment in a company. Companies usually look out for people that have extra education in the position that they are to fill. By completing a degree or diploma, companies can see your commitment to studying further and also that you have the dedication to take on tasks and responsibilities and complete them.
The average annual income of an office manager in the US is about $39,700 and for a project manager is about $71,200 (payscale.com).
List of schools and programs
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Small Business Management
- MBA in Leadership Management
- MBA in Human Resources Management
- And more...
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Organizational Leadership
- And more...
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Business Management
- Associates in Business Management
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Leadership (MS)
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (DBA)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Leadership
- Master of Science in Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Leadership
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- MS in Management
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Doctor of Management - Global Leadership (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Management Executive Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...