A small business management course gives you the basics to set up and manage a small business. It will enable you to secure the stability of a business venture despite the fluctuating economy. This training can also provide you with the necessary skills and abilities to apply for management positions in other companies. Positions that are sometimes available could include, retail manager, marketing manager, public relations manager and logistics manager.
As the economic environment is very dynamic you will need to be constantly updating your knowledge and abilities to stay on top. So constant professional development through short and longer courses is required. Taking a small business course will assist employees to be promoted quicker and could also gain the respect of the company easier. This page provides information about where you can find such programs, what’s involved and what the prospects are.
What do I study in a small business management course?
Starting a small business is a complex task that requires knowledge and skills in many areas. These can be acquired through a small business management program.
The typical modules that you will take can include, logistics management, marketing and communications management, accounting and statistics. Marketing and communications management will teach you the fundamental principles of selling products and services, managing teams and departments and communicating effectively throughout the organization.
Accounting will assist you in budget allocation and cost reduction within an organization. Statistics will help you to work out probabilities on sales, customer retention and other important company objectives. Project management will teach you to develop methods to manage you time properly. It will also assist you meeting deadlines on time with little deviation from the allocated budget.
By combining all of these modules together could allow you to get a greater understanding of the economic spectrum as a whole. It will also give you the tools that you require to do thorough work for the business. This could allow you to personally grow and expand the company at the same time.
By obtaining certificates, diplomas and degrees in these modules could allow you to apply for middle to top management positions within a company. In these courses you will find that they could also offer you practical experience in businesses. This can be done through an internship program that will allow you to work for a business for a period of time. This will help you to learn all the internal working in a real business setting. This will then also give you the experience you could need for job applications.
What are the prospects for graduates?
With a degree or diploma in small business management, you are clearly well prepared to start and/or run your own small business. You are also well qualified to run a small business belonging to someone else, or to work in a larger company. You might not be able to start at the top but it can be a good head start for people when looking for employment in a company. Companies usually look out for people that have extra education in the position that they are to fill. By completing a degree or diploma, companies can see your commitment to studying further and also that you have the dedication to take on tasks and responsibilities and complete them.
The average annual income of an office manager in the US is about $39,700 and for a project manager is about $71,200 (payscale.com).
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Leadership
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- MS in Management
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Leadership Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Doctor of Management - Global Leadership (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Management Executive Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Leadership (MS)
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Leadership (MS)
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (DBA)
- And more...
- Choose from over 200 career-focused online undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- One of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- IMBA - Leadership
- MBA with concentration in Leadership
- MS Management
- And more...