A small business management course gives you the basics to set up and manage a small business. It will enable you to secure the stability of a business venture despite the fluctuating economy. This training can also provide you with the necessary skills and abilities to apply for management positions in other companies. Positions that are sometimes available could include, retail manager, marketing manager, public relations manager and logistics manager.
As the economic environment is very dynamic you will need to be constantly updating your knowledge and abilities to stay on top. So constant professional development through short and longer courses is required. Taking a small business course will assist employees to be promoted quicker and could also gain the respect of the company easier. This page provides information about where you can find such programs, what’s involved and what the prospects are.
What do I study in a small business management course?
Starting a small business is a complex task that requires knowledge and skills in many areas. These can be acquired through a small business management program.
The typical modules that you will take can include, logistics management, marketing and communications management, accounting and statistics. Marketing and communications management will teach you the fundamental principles of selling products and services, managing teams and departments and communicating effectively throughout the organization.
Accounting will assist you in budget allocation and cost reduction within an organization. Statistics will help you to work out probabilities on sales, customer retention and other important company objectives. Project management will teach you to develop methods to manage you time properly. It will also assist you meeting deadlines on time with little deviation from the allocated budget.
By combining all of these modules together could allow you to get a greater understanding of the economic spectrum as a whole. It will also give you the tools that you require to do thorough work for the business. This could allow you to personally grow and expand the company at the same time.
By obtaining certificates, diplomas and degrees in these modules could allow you to apply for middle to top management positions within a company. In these courses you will find that they could also offer you practical experience in businesses. This can be done through an internship program that will allow you to work for a business for a period of time. This will help you to learn all the internal working in a real business setting. This will then also give you the experience you could need for job applications.
What are the prospects for graduates?
With a degree or diploma in small business management, you are clearly well prepared to start and/or run your own small business. You are also well qualified to run a small business belonging to someone else, or to work in a larger company. You might not be able to start at the top but it can be a good head start for people when looking for employment in a company. Companies usually look out for people that have extra education in the position that they are to fill. By completing a degree or diploma, companies can see your commitment to studying further and also that you have the dedication to take on tasks and responsibilities and complete them.
The average annual income of an office manager in the US is about $39,700 and for a project manager is about $71,200 (payscale.com).
List of schools and programs
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Small Business Data Analytics
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Doctor of Management Executive Leadership (Executive Format)
- Master of Business Administration - Global Leadership
- And more...
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Entrepreneurial Studies
- M.B.A. and M.S. in Leadership (Dual Degree)
- M.B.A.: Leadership
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Leadership
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- MS in Management
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Leadership Studies - MBA (Master's)
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Business Administration - DBA (Doctorate)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Associates in Business Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Management : Leadership
- Bachelor of Science : Liberal Studies Leadership
- Master of Business Administration : Marketing
- And more...
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - General