What is meant by “Social Media”? They are web-based media for sharing images, writing and voice. Using appropriate social software tools and web hosts, we can write and share blogs, record and share podcasts, upload photographs for nominated friends or all to see, make internet TV, or upload and share videos, and much more. Perhaps most importantly we can create, join and participate in virtual communities, form new friendships and reconfirm old ones, recommend websites or products, share jokes or sad stories, and in many other ways engage socially on the Internet.
An industry has grown up around this social networking and there are now many social marketing jobs available. This page helps you find out more …
From passive reception to socially collaborative
There is a lot of buzz about the social use of communication media. Whether you are sharing your words, video-sharing or photo-sharing, the most important aspect is the control that the user has to publish whatever they want to the web. Internet users are no longer passive recipients of information placed there by organizations and institutions. Instead they are active contributors and publishers. Social software tools have levelled the playing field.
They are designed to build a sense of community amongst the users. So working on a computer is no longer a private, individual pastime – it can be a communal activity. The communities might be mirrors of physical communities (e.g., universities, cities, football clubs) or might be virtual communities based on interests. The use of social technology in education is becoming ever more important as children are brought up surrounded by its use.
Here is a playlist of videos about the technologies and tools available:
Another important aspect of the social revolution we are experiencing is in the speed at which our ideas can be communicated over vast distances and with huge numbers of people. Twitter is a prime example of the way in which communication has been changed in this respect. Major events can be described, and even world-changing demonstrations can be organized by using just 140 characters in a tweet. Using #hashtags makes it possible to search easily for tweets on a particular topic. Here is a poster of the most popular educational Twitter hashtags:
Compiled By: OnlineCollegeCourses.com
Collaborating online with social media and social software
Collaborating online is so much easier now with the social software available. Instead of sending drafts of documents to all those working on a particular document, it is now possible for them to work together modifying documents stored online. This is particularly useful for teachers wanting to share information and collaboratively create courseware. It is also useful for class work in which groups of students work together on a project.[/showhide]
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Web Development
- Master of Science in Computer Science Database Systems
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Software Development - Bachelor
- Database Programming - Bachelor
- Database Programming - Associate
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Information Technology - Multiplatform Software Development
- AAS in Information Technology-Multiplatform Software Development
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Business Web Development
- AOS Information Technology Specialist
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Application Development
- Undergraduate Certificate in Web Development
- Undergraduate Certificate in Database