Helping people is the picture that most individuals have of social workers. Helping others is a career that often requires an MS or MA in social work. Technically, the entry level position is available to those with a bachelor’s degree, but in practice those with a masters degree are the ones who are more likely to get hired. Helping others includes issues with disease, substance abuse, disabilities, housing, unemployment, domestic conflicts and abuse.
This page has more details of the programs, lists schools for you to choose a suitable program, outlines career prospects, and more …
What do social work degrees cover?
An undergraduate degree in sociology, psychology and similar fields will help to prepare a graduate for entry level jobs in some communities and some social work fields. An advanced degree is needed for most types of school or health positions. To be a social worker in an administrative or supervisory position requires education beyond the undergraduate level.
Bachelor’s programs lead to positions with direct client contact. These include counselors in residential facilities and group home workers. A worker might be a mental health assistant or a caseworker in a government program. Typical coursework at this level includes cultural studies, ethics, social work values, social and economic justice, human behavior, social interaction, policy and statutes, research and education.
The master’s program adds supervised internship hours on a base of psychology, sociology, political science, biology, economics, a second language and similar programs. A master’s program can be completed on a part time basis, which works well for those who must work while studying.
What additional training or accreditation is required?
Licensing is required in many instances for the social worker. This process is usually based on State regulations. The requirements vary from state to state. The use of professional titles depends upon certification. Clinical social workers need supervised clinical experience usually over the period of two years or three thousand hours. Other types of social worker fields include child, school, family, public health, medical, mental health, aging and substance abuse workers.
Not every program that provides a degree in social work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. As of the mid point of the year 2009 there were 468 programs leading to the bachelor’s degree and nearly two hundred master’s program with approved accreditation. There are also 74 doctoral programs that are approved by the Group for Advancement of Doctoral Education. The master’s programs lead to a Master of Social Work (MSW).
What are the salary and career prospects?
Nearly one-third of the social workers are employed by government entities. Over half of social workers are found working in social assistance and health care fields. Job growth for social workers are projected to be greater than average during the decade ending in 2018. Projections of a sixteen percent growth in the number of openings overall are stated. Many of the jobs are in the sub-specialty of aging services. The growth in this segment of the population that links to the public health and medical workers is projected at 22 percent.
A masters degree holder can expect a median annual wage of nearly $40,000. The salary range is less than $25,870 to $66,430 for child, family and school social workers. Medical and public health workers have a median annual salary of $46,650. Social workers who work in hospitals bring home an annual wage of $51,470. These statistics are accurate as of mid 2008.
List of schools and programs
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Bachelor of Science: Social Work
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MSHUS- Organizational and Social Services
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- And more...
SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of SocialWork, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required.
- Master of Social Work
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Grief Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Student Affairs
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!