Are you wanting to study psychology and have a strong interest in sports? Try looking at sports psychology programs. Linking sport and psychology in one degree is a relatively recent phenomenon. And yet so much of performing well in sport is about motivation, stress, endurance, will power – all psychological factors. So it is surprising that our psychological knowledge about such factors has not been applied to sport in a scientific way before. Even so, psychology of sport and exercise programs are rapidly becoming very popular amongst students, especially at master’s and doctoral levels.
You can study an MS in Sport Psychology program, or an MA in Psychology with a specialization in Sports and Performance Psychology, or an MA in Sport – Exercise Psychology. You can also study in related fields such as Health and Wellness Psychology, which can be studies at Masters and PhD levels. This page will help you to find out more about sport psychology study and to locate suitable university degree programs, especially if you want to take your sports psychology online.
What do you study in sports psychology programs?
It is usual to take a sports psychology degree at master’s or doctoral level rather than undergraduate level.
A typical sports psychology masters may include the following: Biological Basis of Behavior, Contemporary Issues in Psychology, Statistics, Human Motivation, Research Design, Cognitive psychology, Tests and measurement, Human development, Cultural diversity, Coaching, and Mind-body practices
As a sports psychology doctoral student you can focus your study in an area that suits your professional interests, but your aim will be to use the knowledge gained in the sports psychology graduate program to make people more effective. In addition to taking graduate courses similar to or the same as those in the masters program, you will need to present a substantial thesis based on your own original research, and make an oral defense of it.
What jobs do graduates get?
One can find graduates of sports psychology online degree in management jobs or specialist positions in education, training, testing, or research. Graduates with a sports psychology masters can find jobs as guidance counselors, educators.
With a doctorate in sport and exercise psychology it is possible to obtain faculty positions at universities and community colleges. In the US, as an Assistant Professor you would earn about US$54,000, as a Associate Professor about US$67,000, and as a full Professor you would earn about US$85,000 – but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Psychology (BA)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- MS Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Political Science
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- BS in Psychology
- AA in Psychology
Rooted in the 1,500-year-old Benedictine tradition, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body, and spirit for all members of its community. At University Campus, at education centers, and through the Center for Online Learning, Saint Leo University offers a practical, effective model for life and leadership in a challenging world; a model based on a steadfast moral consciousness that recognizes the dignity, value, and gifts of all people.
- BA in Psychology