Innovations in ICT and the possibilities opened up by teaching online, are enabling exciting classroom activities to be developed at all levels of children’s education (elementary to grade 12). They have also enabled a revolution in the delivery of distance education in universities and colleges. This page provides more details.
With the social appropriation of computers, the creation of the Internet, the advent of Web 2.0 and the Semantic Web, the range of technologies available to the user is bewildering. Children in the US and Canada are being brought up surrounded by these Internet technologies, and using them is as natural to them as using a spoon. These users are called “Generation Y”.
So what happens when these Generation Y children get into school? They probably expect their learning to be delivered using the same technologies that they use everyday. This is one important reason for teachers to learn more about online education. But there are other, pedagogical reasons, for learning about it. It is important for teachers to consider all modalities and technologies for learning and use the most appropriate ones for the subject matter and the particular learners. This is especially true in those all-important areas of math (especially middle school math), reading comprehension and writing.
Teaching online in universities and colleges
The new computer and Internet technologies are also revolutionising educational programs at university and college level. In university and college courses, it is now possible for course content, seminars, discussions and other approaches to learning to be delivered electronically.
These information and communication technologies enable distance courses to be delivered using innovative ways to interact with instructors and other students. They have raised the status of distance education and now whole universities have been created that conduct all their education online.
Many traditional campus-based universities now also offer programs online – either totally or partially. Some insist that all students should experience learning online.
Distance education for teacher training – a free resource
The free e-book “Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” builds on EDC’s extensive international and domestic experience in the field of distance education and gathers research and lessons learned from numerous programs in over 100 nations and territories to help distance education policymakers, planners and designers develop distance education systems focused on producing high-quality teachers.
The book focuses on the following areas:
- Modes of distance education – types of distance-based delivery systems and their strengths and weaknesses from print to digital gaming to online learning to mobile technologies;
- Models of distance education for teacher training programs;
- Methods or best practices necessary to develop a high-quality distance education program.
“Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” has over 200 web references to existing programs and technology tools; an annotated reference section of distance-based resources; and an extensive glossary of terms and bibliography. It is a valuable resource for those interested in not just distance education but technology and professional development.
Download a free PDF copy now: Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods
Also checkout the free Online Learning Theory and Practice eBook.
List of schools and programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities & social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Education - College Teaching
- MS in Higher Education - Online College Teaching
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- M.S. in TESOL
- M.S. in Elementary Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed: Teaching & Learning Student Services
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Certification Only)
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- MA in Teaching: Advanced Studies in Secondary Education- National Board Preparation
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Master of Education
- General Education - Master of Education
- Global Training and Development - EdS
- And more...