Innovations in ICT and the possibilities opened up by teaching online, are enabling exciting classroom activities to be developed at all levels of children’s education (elementary to grade 12). They have also enabled a revolution in the delivery of distance education in universities and colleges. This page provides more details.
With the social appropriation of computers, the creation of the Internet, the advent of Web 2.0 and the Semantic Web, the range of technologies available to the user is bewildering. Children in the US and Canada are being brought up surrounded by these Internet technologies, and using them is as natural to them as using a spoon. These users are called “Generation Y”.
So what happens when these Generation Y children get into school? They probably expect their learning to be delivered using the same technologies that they use everyday. This is one important reason for teachers to learn more about online education. But there are other, pedagogical reasons, for learning about it. It is important for teachers to consider all modalities and technologies for learning and use the most appropriate ones for the subject matter and the particular learners. This is especially true in those all-important areas of math (especially middle school math), reading comprehension and writing.
Teaching online in universities and colleges
The new computer and Internet technologies are also revolutionising educational programs at university and college level. In university and college courses, it is now possible for course content, seminars, discussions and other approaches to learning to be delivered electronically.
These information and communication technologies enable distance courses to be delivered using innovative ways to interact with instructors and other students. They have raised the status of distance education and now whole universities have been created that conduct all their education online.
Many traditional campus-based universities now also offer programs online – either totally or partially. Some insist that all students should experience learning online.
Distance education for teacher training – a free resource
The free e-book “Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” builds on EDC’s extensive international and domestic experience in the field of distance education and gathers research and lessons learned from numerous programs in over 100 nations and territories to help distance education policymakers, planners and designers develop distance education systems focused on producing high-quality teachers.
The book focuses on the following areas:
- Modes of distance education – types of distance-based delivery systems and their strengths and weaknesses from print to digital gaming to online learning to mobile technologies;
- Models of distance education for teacher training programs;
- Methods or best practices necessary to develop a high-quality distance education program.
“Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” has over 200 web references to existing programs and technology tools; an annotated reference section of distance-based resources; and an extensive glossary of terms and bibliography. It is a valuable resource for those interested in not just distance education but technology and professional development.
Download a free PDF copy now: Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods
Also checkout the free Online Learning Theory and Practice eBook.
List of schools and programs
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning (Online Only)
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
- AS Teaching
- BS Elementary Education
- MEd Elementary Education (K-6) Initial Licensure
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education with ED-6 Generalist Certification
- Master of Arts in Teaching
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Baker College is the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. Our mission is to prepare you for meaningful employment.
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- Advanced Early Childhood
- Basic Early Childhood