Innovations in ICT and the possibilities opened up by teaching online, are enabling exciting classroom activities to be developed at all levels of children’s education (elementary to grade 12). They have also enabled a revolution in the delivery of distance education in universities and colleges. This page provides more details.
With the social appropriation of computers, the creation of the Internet, the advent of Web 2.0 and the Semantic Web, the range of technologies available to the user is bewildering. Children in the US and Canada are being brought up surrounded by these Internet technologies, and using them is as natural to them as using a spoon. These users are called “Generation Y”.
So what happens when these Generation Y children get into school? They probably expect their learning to be delivered using the same technologies that they use everyday. This is one important reason for teachers to learn more about online education. But there are other, pedagogical reasons, for learning about it. It is important for teachers to consider all modalities and technologies for learning and use the most appropriate ones for the subject matter and the particular learners. This is especially true in those all-important areas of math (especially middle school math), reading comprehension and writing.
Teaching online in universities and colleges
The new computer and Internet technologies are also revolutionising educational programs at university and college level. In university and college courses, it is now possible for course content, seminars, discussions and other approaches to learning to be delivered electronically.
These information and communication technologies enable distance courses to be delivered using innovative ways to interact with instructors and other students. They have raised the status of distance education and now whole universities have been created that conduct all their education online.
Many traditional campus-based universities now also offer programs online – either totally or partially. Some insist that all students should experience learning online.
Distance education for teacher training – a free resource
The free e-book “Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” builds on EDC’s extensive international and domestic experience in the field of distance education and gathers research and lessons learned from numerous programs in over 100 nations and territories to help distance education policymakers, planners and designers develop distance education systems focused on producing high-quality teachers.
The book focuses on the following areas:
- Modes of distance education – types of distance-based delivery systems and their strengths and weaknesses from print to digital gaming to online learning to mobile technologies;
- Models of distance education for teacher training programs;
- Methods or best practices necessary to develop a high-quality distance education program.
“Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods” has over 200 web references to existing programs and technology tools; an annotated reference section of distance-based resources; and an extensive glossary of terms and bibliography. It is a valuable resource for those interested in not just distance education but technology and professional development.
Download a free PDF copy now: Distance Education for Teacher Training: Modes, Models, and Methods
Also checkout the free Online Learning Theory and Practice eBook.
List of schools and programs
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning (Online Only)
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
- AS Teaching
- BS Elementary Education
- MEd Elementary Education (K-6) Initial Licensure
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Arkansas College of Barbering and Hair Design (ACB) was incorporated under the laws of the state of Arkansas in May 1974. The school was previously located at 401 Main Street in North Little Rock, AR. In1984, the school was relocated to its current location at 200 East Washington Ave and has been incontinuous operation since that time. ACB opened with seven (7) students and sixteen (16) chairs andcurrently have forty-two (42) multi-purpose chairs and an average of sixty-five (65) students. Our purpose is to provide quality training in barbering and hairstyling to the residents of this and other states.
- Teacher, Manager, Instructor (TMI)
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
- Teacher Course
- Advanced Early Childhood
- Basic Early Childhood
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Master of Education
- Global Training and Development - EdS
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...