Do you want to know more about about online learning? The pages in the online and distance learning web site have been developed to help you find out what it is, the difficulties, the advantages, where you can find suitable programs, and more …
Online learning is becoming increasingly popular. It is such a convenient mode of study for many people, especially those who are working and do not wish to take time off work to attend campus for their studies.
In this web site, teachers can find out more about how ICT is changing classroom education, the social media tools that are facilitating so many of the changes, and obtain tips and resources for their own teaching.
Students can find out more about how you learn by online distance learning (e.g., in tips for learning online) and obtain help in finding a suitable distance learning online program or a school that offers the program you want, and more …
About online learning for students
Are you a student wanting to know more about what distance learning is all about? Or how new ICTs are changing classroom education? Or are you wanting to find out about online programs in a particular discipline, or about college admission, or financing for your studies, or free education? This section of the web site tries to help you find some answers.
What is online learning?
In these difficult financial times, there has been a massive increase in the number of learners wanting to know more about taking their studies at a distance using elearning (online learning) technologies. Not only is learning online usually more affordable, it is also more convenient for these distance education learners.
What is important to recognize is that anyone can register for online courses and earn their degrees. In this manner, they can study full time or part time, if they have other responsibilities. Many people have found that this is the best way to start a new career or complete certain credits they were lacking in their degree, while they maintain their current job.
But one of the good things about elearning is that it is not only used in distance education programs – it is also used for campus-based programs.
What is the difference between online learning and distance education?
Distance education has been a method of learning for individuals wanting to study at home for at least one hundred years, starting with correspondence learning (home study) via postal mail. With the greater use of computers and the Internet, it is now possible to offer distance education programs using only the online modality. In fact, distance education programs in the US and Canada use online learning so much, that for many people distance education is thought to be only about elearning.
But in reality, not all distance education programs are offered offered totally online. In fact, many distance education programs use a mix of modalities in that they also refer the learner to physical books. However, even these books are increasingly available online.
In many developing countries where the availability of computers and access to the Internet cannot be assumed, distance education very often still uses a mix of hard-copy study guides, books and attendance at weekend classes. There are many initiatives to try to change the problems of access to ICT, e.g., “One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)”, so that those countries can also reap the benefits of using ICT in learning.
So why all the fuss about elearning?
New information and communication technology (ICT) has made online learning or elearning possible, in which learners can participate in interactive learning using audio and video-conferencing, email, chat and computer-conferencing. The distance learner can now have almost the same instructional contact and interaction as the student on campus. This is why distance learners want to know more about studying programs online.
But elearning is not just the province of distance education. It is also used in campus-based education. The on-campus student can now have another modality to use in addition to the lecture and tutorial. So on-campus students and teachers also need to know more about elearning. This Online and Distance Learning web site also has a section on campus schools and programs.
List of schools and online programs
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Information
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Master of Business Administration
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include Healthcare Management, Public Health, IT, Psychology, BBA & Criminal Justice
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Government - Law and Public Policy
- And more...
Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.