Why are the accreditation of an online school and taking accredited online programs so important for an online student or a distance learner? This page explains more about “accreditation” and its importance.
Increasingly, learners can get their online degrees and other qualifications from anywhere in the world. But care must be taken or else the quality of the education and qualification received will be worthless. To ensure quality, take an accredited online program from an accredited online school or university.
Accreditation is provided by governmental, nongovernmental and private agencies that usually report to departments or ministries of education. Accrediting bodies typically look at the qualifications of instructors, the school’s recruiting practices, admissions procedures, course content and quality, and equal opportunity employment. They regularly review the schools to make sure that their online programs meet minimum quality standards.
How can you find out about accredited online programs?
Enrolling in an accredited program at institution will affect at least three important things:
- Qualification for financial aid from your government or employer;
- Transferring credit to another institution, or advancing to another degree;
- Your qualifications and credibility to your employer.
Before you enroll in a program, be sure is it accredited by a real accrediting body (many diploma mills will claim to be accredited by a fake body). In the USA, make sure that it is accredited by
- One of the six regional accreditation boards; OR
- The Distance Education Training Council (DETC); OR
- If you are enrolling in an associate degree program, the school may be accredited by a career-focused accrediting association such as the Accreditation Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. Check with licensing boards and professional associations under which the school claims to offer programs. Make sure that the association is acknowledged by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note: Only accreditation by one of the six regional accreditation boards will guarantee transfer of credits from one program to another if you should choose to change school or to take another program.
List of schools and programs
- Explore bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in social science fields like psychology, applied behavioral science, sociology, cognitive studies, and public sociology.
- Pursue a tech degree in areas like computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics