Why are the accreditation of an online school and taking accredited online programs so important for an online student or a distance learner? This page explains more about “accreditation” and its importance.
Increasingly, learners can get their online degrees and other qualifications from anywhere in the world. But care must be taken or else the quality of the education and qualification received will be worthless. To ensure quality, take an accredited online program from an accredited online school or university.
Accreditation is provided by governmental, nongovernmental and private agencies that usually report to departments or ministries of education. Accrediting bodies typically look at the qualifications of instructors, the school’s recruiting practices, admissions procedures, course content and quality, and equal opportunity employment. They regularly review the schools to make sure that their online programs meet minimum quality standards.
How can you find out about accredited online programs?
Enrolling in an accredited program at institution will affect at least three important things:
- Qualification for financial aid from your government or employer;
- Transferring credit to another institution, or advancing to another degree;
- Your qualifications and credibility to your employer.
Before you enroll in a program, be sure is it accredited by a real accrediting body (many diploma mills will claim to be accredited by a fake body). In the USA, make sure that it is accredited by
- One of the six regional accreditation boards; OR
- The Distance Education Training Council (DETC); OR
- If you are enrolling in an associate degree program, the school may be accredited by a career-focused accrediting association such as the Accreditation Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. Check with licensing boards and professional associations under which the school claims to offer programs. Make sure that the association is acknowledged by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note: Only accreditation by one of the six regional accreditation boards will guarantee transfer of credits from one program to another if you should choose to change school or to take another program.
List of schools and programs
Penn Foster's accredited high school diploma — your way
Earning a High School Diploma is one of life’s greatest accomplishments. Having a diploma can put you on a path to so many opportunities…college, promotions, pay raises, new careers, or even just the sense of pride and confidence that comes with such an achievement.
Many who are looking to earn their High School Diploma often can’t, or would prefer not to attend traditional, regularly scheduled high school classes. For those looking to earn their High School Diploma on their schedule, Penn Foster High School offers the perfect solution. With our flexible online format, students can get the education to help them prepare for the life they want.
- High School Diploma
- Payroll Clerk
- Private Investigation
- High School
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and the community at large.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- A.S.- Health Sciences (Pharmacy Technician)
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
Gain the skills needed to become a project manager in a highly acclaimed masters program.
- MS in Supply Chain Management
- MS in Project Management
- MS in Financial Management
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Bachelors - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option