Why are the accreditation of an online school and taking accredited online programs so important for an online student or a distance learner? This page explains more about “accreditation” and its importance.
Increasingly, learners can get their online degrees and other qualifications from anywhere in the world. But care must be taken or else the quality of the education and qualification received will be worthless. To ensure quality, take an accredited online program from an accredited online school or university.
Accreditation is provided by governmental, nongovernmental and private agencies that usually report to departments or ministries of education. Accrediting bodies typically look at the qualifications of instructors, the school’s recruiting practices, admissions procedures, course content and quality, and equal opportunity employment. They regularly review the schools to make sure that their online programs meet minimum quality standards.
How can you find out about accredited online programs?
Enrolling in an accredited program at institution will affect at least three important things:
- Qualification for financial aid from your government or employer;
- Transferring credit to another institution, or advancing to another degree;
- Your qualifications and credibility to your employer.
Before you enroll in a program, be sure is it accredited by a real accrediting body (many diploma mills will claim to be accredited by a fake body). In the USA, make sure that it is accredited by
- One of the six regional accreditation boards; OR
- The Distance Education Training Council (DETC); OR
- If you are enrolling in an associate degree program, the school may be accredited by a career-focused accrediting association such as the Accreditation Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. Check with licensing boards and professional associations under which the school claims to offer programs. Make sure that the association is acknowledged by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note: Only accreditation by one of the six regional accreditation boards will guarantee transfer of credits from one program to another if you should choose to change school or to take another program.
List of schools and programs
- Explore bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in social science fields like psychology, applied behavioral science, sociology, cognitive studies, and public sociology.
- Pursue a tech degree in areas like computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Information Technology Bachelors- Online
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Master of Accounting
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Associate of Applied Science - Information Technology - Cisco
- Associate of Applied Science - Powerplant Technology
- Bachelor of Science - Business Management - Digital Marketing
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Instructional Design Certificate
- Child and Adolescent Psychology Certificate
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management
- And more...
Located just steps from the U.S. Capital, the George Washington University is uniquely positioned at the core of U.S. government, policy and law. GW students and faculty benefit from an unparalleled opportunity to study and work alongside leaders in every discipline. Whether on campus or online, you too can take part in the interchanges that shape our community and the world.
- Master of Professional Studies in Strategic Public Relations
- Masters in Political Management
- MBA in Healthcare